B&H has the SLR Magic Hyperprime 25mm f0.95 for $400 off

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by nuclearboy, Dec 3, 2014.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I saw this as well and it's a great price.
    I would get one if it wasn't for the Nokton 25mm f/0/95 that I just bought...
    I wasn't sure if I would like it as much as I do, but I force myself to go all manual when using the lens even with the exposure settings.
    It's really a new (or rather old time) experience since you get immediate DOF feedback on the screen and it makes me slow down before pressing the shutter.
    Rudy

3. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Mine just arrived. I was surprised at how compact it is. First impressions are really good. It is nicer than I expected.

Very stiff aperture and focus rings. No slippage here. Initial shots look good. Very happy with purchase.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I wonder how the image quality compares to the Voigtlanders?

This is the kind of lens you really need to use wide-open all the time to make it worthwhile, but I could definitely see it being great if you do a lot of low light shooting.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think that's not really true.
    Just because the lens has a maximum f/0.95 does not mean you should be shooting it at that all the time.
    Contrast is way down, corner sharpness is poor and DOF at closer focus is very shallow. This works for some pictures, but not all.
    So unless you want any of that in a particular shot, stop it down.
    So why wouldn't I buy a smaller cheaper lens, if I'm going to shoot at f/2.8?
    Because sometimes you do want to be able to use it wide open.
    Most shots will be better with the lens closed down a few stops, but you can't shoot wide open if your lens can't do it...
    These lenses are really sharp throughout when stopped down and are creamy when wide open, so you really get two lenses in one.
    Rudy

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Site says deal ends today (12/4)... so I put my order in. There weren't many photos from the lens, but the ones I saw wide open... Quite nice. Absolutely love my 25/1.4 which is more practical in a lot of ways but I think I'll like using the 0.95 in a number of situations and with focus peaking on my GM1 should be reasonable to use I hope?

From a lot of web searching sounds like it is actually better than the Voit wide open in a number of ways. But really the two lenses just have different strengths and weaknesses, to be expected with such extreme designs. You aren't going to get everything perfect so different designers choose to optimize and emphasize different things. Sounds like the SLRM will fit my needs better than the Voit and with this deal comes in way, way cheaper too.

Thanks! Though once again my wallet hates the "deals" forum.

Oh and in my search I found a post on another forum claiming B&H had this at $500 of on Black Friday. But the post didn't state the final price, just that it was $500 off. Maybe that was an even better deal now passed?

7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I think you are going to like the lens.

I remember seeing this on Black Friday and it was $400 off for a total price of $500. Unless I missed something, the price was good until today.

I agree with the comment about the D%&!! deals forum. It has cost me a fortune.

I have been looking at speed boosters and other fast lens options for the past year or two. This deal hit the spot for me. On the E-P5 with focus peaking, it has been a joy to use so far today..

8. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Cool, I didn't "miss out" then ;) I'm guessing the post I saw from back on BF the poster had confused the discount and final price when posting.

Me too. Even looked at speed boosters again before going for this deal. I do have a number of Canon FD primes. Thing is for the speed booster route and the lenses I have to boost it mostly just creates MF focus versions close to native m43 lenses I have already (35/2 becomes 25/1.4 and I'd prefer my Panaleica, 85/1.8 becomes 60/1.2 and I'd prefer my 42.5/1.2, 100/2 becomes 70/1.4 and I'd prefer my 75/1.8). I really like the 25/1.4 and use that focal length a lot for kid portraits. And as much as I love the rendering of that lens I'm looking forward to the differently nice rendering of the SLRM.

Thanks for posting your experience so far with the lens, makes me feel a bit better about clicking at the last minute. Looking forward to it! (Though I'm out of town next week and so will have to wait a bit to actually try it out).

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

And as always, when I get too busy and forget to check on here for a couple days .. I miss a great deal.
    Kudos to you all who took advantage of this.

10. alxdgr8

alxdgr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    This lens is built like a tank! Haven't messed with it much, just did a few test shots in the garage. Focus peaking on my GH4 works great for focusing even with this wide open. dad5223635d3f2e8d5a862560d60eca1.

• Like Like x 2