B&H has a sale on 128GB SanDisk cards, ending August 21st, 2021

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was buying another memory card today (along with other things) at B&H today. I was looking for a 128GB UHS-I V30 card. Originally I was going to go for a Kingston 128GB Canvas Go! Plus card (for US $26). Before doing the checkout, Iooked for other 128GB UHS-1 V30 cards, and I noticed the SanDisk Extreme Pro card was on sale for $30 (normally $80). The sale evidently ends today (August 21st, 2021). So I switched my order to buy the SanDisk.

Note the non-sale price ($80) seems a little high (same price as the 256GB card). But I would imagine $50 might be the normal price.

I also checked out Amazon.com and Adorma.com and they also have the card on sale.

There are some other SanDisk cards for sale, but the sale prices aren't that much.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I assume these "V30" cards are more of interest to 4k+ video shooters?
It depends on what you are shooting. According to this page:
Some 1080p implementations can reach up to 30 megabytes/second sustained writes (i.e. V30). While I've shot 1080p in the past (and I'm likely to shoot that in the future), I am playing around right now with 4K/C4K. Because of the 1080p video, I only buy V30 cards for any new cards.

Note, V30 is the fastest you can get in a UHS-I card. In this case, I was buying another card, so I could put it in card slot #2 (which is UHS-I only). So, I didn't need the extra speed (and I was at the limit of how much I wanted to spend).

At the moment, I tend to think 128GB V30 cards are at a sweet spot, typically in the $20-30 range, depending on the card and sales. Over time, I am upgrading my stash of 64GB and 32GB cards and replacing them with 128GB. While the prices go much higher for the UHS-II cards.

According to the above link, 4K might need V60, while 8K might need to buy V90 (I don't know where C4K fits in).

When I bought my one and only V90 card (128GB Delkin UHS-II), I bought it at the camera shop I bought the E-m1 mark II at. I only had a choice between Delkin and Sandisk for UHS-II cards (both of which are V90 cards). I went with the Delkin.

Looking at B&H, V60 is isn't that popular, with a bunch of no-name cards and Sony & Lexar.

Ever since Micron sold the Lexar division, I keep reading reviews that the cards just can't keep up with the speed rating. Similarly, I've read a bunch of reviews that say Sony also may be inflating some speed numbers and cameras could overrun the card. That means neither of these are on my to buy list. It is a shame, I used to favor Lexar cards over SanDisk.

In terms of speed, if you aren't shooting video, you might need the speed if you are shooting pro capture or shooting RAW+JPG at high fps rates (neither of which I've done). But if you are shooting stills only, and are not machine gun shooting at high FPS rates, you probably don't need to worry about speed.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought Sony V60 "Tough" card for the UHS-II slot in my E-M1 II to record video and it was recalled due to a video data corruption problem. Maybe it was not such a bad thing my once-in-a-lifetime trip to visit relatives in Vietnam was cancelled due to COVID after all. It's too bad there are so few V60 choices out there, but probably best to avoid Sony cards.

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
FWIW:

128 GB Sandisk Extreme Plus cards (micro with included adapters) are sold in-store at Costco.
(Plus writes to just as fast as Pro, but reads back at almost only half the speed?)
UHS 3 a2 V30

They go on sale once/twice a year: 2-pack of 128GB for $45-50

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
FWIW:

128 GB Sandisk Extreme Plus cards (micro with included adapters) are sold in-store at Costco.
(Plus writes to just as fast as Pro, but reads back at almost only half the speed?)
UHS 3 a2 V30

They go on sale once/twice a year: 2-pack of 128GB for $45-50
In general, I try to avoid the micro cards, since I wonder whether the adapter will degrade the speed rating. In theory if you have the adapter that came with the card, it shouldn't.

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
In general, I try to avoid the micro cards, since I wonder whether the adapter will degrade the speed rating. In theory if you have the adapter that came with the card, it shouldn't.
I have had that same concern, but I have not noticed any issue with write speeds and haven't been concerned with read speeds. (Although I don't do lots of high speed burst images, and seldom take longer duration 4k videos. (GX85))

Just tossing that CostCo info out there if it's relevant to anyone.

sbm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I bought Sony V60 "Tough" card for the UHS-II slot in my E-M1 II to record video and it was recalled due to a video data corruption problem. Maybe it was not such a bad thing my once-in-a-lifetime trip to visit relatives in Vietnam was cancelled due to COVID after all. It's too bad there are so few V60 choices out there, but probably best to avoid Sony cards.
I wasn't aware of this, so thanks, as I have a couple of these. I found this info about it: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/memory-cards-sd-cards/sf-g128t/articles/00246463

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom