B&H canceled my $99 Panny 25mm order

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kfgravy, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kfgravy

kfgravy Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    USA
    Just got two quick emails from B&H Photo saying they are canceling and have canceled my order from Black Friday weekend of the new Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 that was on sale for $99. No explanation. Has anyone else had this happen?

Meanwhile, I've read reviews on their site from people who ordered at that time and have received the lens. At first, they would email trying to sell me accessories. Then monthly they would let me know it's still back ordered. Now this.

Has anyone heard of a reason beyond shady business practices and cheapness why suddenly this lens is somehow permanently unavailable through B&H. It's no longer listed on their website either. Though I have a sinking suspicion it'll show up in a month or two at regular price.

Quite the "super" store.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's because Panasonic refused to honor the $99 sale price on back-ordered lenses. I don't think Panasonic realized how popular the lens would be at that price, and the retailers were vastly under supplied.

It's not just B&H that's doing this, it's every photo outlet that took orders for the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 when they didn't have stock. Don't be mad at B&H, be mad at Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Same experiece here ... monthly reminders that B&H was waiting for stock ... then today's abrupt note that they cancelled my order. I'm extra disappointed because those getting this deal at stores other than B&H reported that their orders were filled some time ago. Did anyone at all get delivery from B&H ?

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Boo Panasonic.

5. kfgravy

kfgravy Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    USA

6. kfgravy

kfgravy Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    USA
    Thanks. Posted first then went hunting. Panasonic doesn't even show this lens on their own site right now! I think they regret making it entirely.

7. kfgravy

kfgravy Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    USA
    Yes, you can read reviews mentioning getting the deal.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, it's crappy. But it's not surprising, I guess.

I don't know how many thousands of no-profit lenses Panasonic owed people, but I don't imagine this will happen again. They were screwed from the time the multi-month backorders came about, though. It was a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation, and neither option was going to engender good will. What they should have done was cancel the promotion sooner and rip off the Band-Aid early instead of stringing buyers along.

As far as online sale contracts go, most sellers reserve the right to cancel no-questions-asked up to the time of shipment. That's just how it goes.

I got one lens as soon as the $99 promo appeared since I figured it was only going to last a day or two, and gifted it to my mom. I liked how it rendered, and was hoping to get another one that I ordered a few days later. But c'est la vie.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I agree that Panasonic handled this badly. It was well intended, but they should have put a deadline on it from the first. If they wanted to keep it going after that, they could have extended it. But, they built up this huge demand for it and then secretly cut off the pipeline. That is no way to make customers happy.

10. drjs

drjs Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    Same here, just canceled my order. Considering they charged my Paypal on the day of my order. Really poor business practice....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The same happened to me today but I received an immediate refund to my PayPal account. Don't blame B&H. They had every reason to believe Panasonic would honor the promotional price on that lens for those who ordered it while it was advertised at $99.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I got a bit disappointed when I saw the email today..

Now, anyone selling their copy for $99? :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. bluecapsule

bluecapsule New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2012
    Yup, they canceled mine too. I decided to get an Olympus 25mm 1.8 instead, and I'm loving it so far! I think I'm less likely to buy Panasonic lenses in the future now. If they were going to cancel the promotion, I'd rather they do it back in November or December instead of holding onto my $100 for months.

14. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    There are two issues. The first is availability. Panasonic keeps putting off the date we can expect to see more. Their latest hint said something about the end of April, but I have NO confidence in that and none either in the quantity they’d send if they send any, ever.

The second issue is typified by this:
    In a dpreview forum I found this comment:
    "we have just learned from Panasonic this morning that they will not be honoring the instant savings at this point, forcing us to cancel all the orders at that price." ---from a Unique Photo rep.

And from Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 lens is now discontinued? Probably an error? – 43 Rumors

Chris: This is part of the email I received from my retailer.

Unfortunately, I have just been informed that it is true that Panasonic is not honoring the rebate as we initially anticipated, forcing us to cancel all orders based on it, including yours. You may see it pending, or a temporary hold for up to 2-3 business days, but your card will not be charged.

It is impossible for any retailer to sell a lens for <100.00 when the retailer pays twice that much. Panasonic’s decision is more than disappointing and we appreciate the impact on our customers.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Henry, hope you and other retailers got the manufacturers rebate for the ones you shipped.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Thanks Henry. There's no doubt in my mind that Panasonic was in control of this situation. I've never had an issue with B&H. In my case, the lens was intended to be a gift. I guess I'll have to scramble now. :)

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Wow...that's pretty bad on Panasonic's part!!

I've been looking for this lens lately and nobody seems to have it listed...seems like a very weird situation.

"Here's a great lens cheap...everybody love us!!! Just kidding...we're gonna make you all mad, and no, you can't buy this lens."

Hell of a way to run a railroad. ;)

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

actually I'm amazed that people when offered a shit hot bargain hesitate. When stuff like this happens you have the saying "the quick or the dead" ... I'm sorry that @kfgravy@kfgravy didn't get the lens, but that's how it goes on these sort of events.

its a bit like a lottery.

The other funny post about this was the guy whinging about panasonic even offering the price and "devaluing" his purchases.

I'd have thought with it being winter over there that the grapes would not go so sour so fast...