B-28 wide-angle converter with 17/1.8 for Milky Way?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by barry13, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

I found 3 Olympus lens converters at a swap meet yesterday for $20, including the B-20 wide-angle converter.

I'm planning on going to Anza Borrego in about 2 weeks and am hoping to take some Milky Way shots (new moon).

The only relevant lenses I have are the O 17mm f1.8 and the 12-40/2.8.
    I also have the ZD 7-14/4 and 8/3.5 FE; I'm assuming those would be rather slow.

For the 17mm, I'd have to get a 46-55mm step-up ring for the 55mm threads on the B-28.

Has anyone used the B-28 (or similar) with the O17/1.8 at night? How is it?
    Would it be better than the 12-40mm @12/2.8?

Thanks!
    Barry

2. It might be worth a try, but I'd be weary of combinations that weren't designed for each other... I tried the Panasonic GWC1 converter on the PL15, the edge resolution and coma was pretty bad. I recommend you try it out closer to home first.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    Just took this tonight with my Oly17/1.8 + 0.48x generic converter off eBay (attached with a 46-58 stepup ring). Not cropped. Pretty happy myself.

B4300080.

• Like Like x 4
  4. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    in terms of WA converter, my 0.48x does not perform well at all on zoom lenses. the 17/1.8 is the only prime i have, but it seems to work ok. i have briefly tried it on my zooms and there's basically no point.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. richardp

richardp Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Europe
    Richard
    Hi Barry,

Did you try the B28? How did it go?

I see you sold it so I guess it wasn't great!

Richard

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I decided to sell it and some related adapters as a set, so I never got a step up ring and tried it with my lenses.

That said, I did shoot some milky way images with the 17/1.8 and it did fine.

7. richardp

richardp Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Europe
    Richard
    Ok, thanks for the update.
    I'm surprised these adapters don't appear more often in the adapted lens thread. I guess I will have to try some for myself.
    I tried the Milky Way with the 14-42 kit lens - wasn't really wide enough to catch it all (plus too much light pollution on that occasion). Good to see Agnieszka has good results with a 0.48x adapter, I'm planning to try one on my Tokina 28mm f2.8

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.