Aww crap! Tried updating firmware on my Olympus lens, now my GH2 can't read it!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Aww crap! So I was browsing the web and noticed that my Olympus 4/3Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 mkII lens has a 1.0 firmware and there's a 1.1 firmware for it. So I followed the instructions on the Panasonic/Olympus Joint firmware page to update the lens via my Panasonic GH2 body, but the update froze about 1/4 of the way. I let it run overnight, until the battery runs out. Now when I turned it on, it says "Please check that the lens is attached correctly."

My Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 still works fine. Is there a fix to this? Do I have to send it in for repair? I just talked to the guy and it's probably gonna be a firmware flash, which is easy on their part, but it'll probably a charge and I have to ship it from Los Angeles to New York

I'm hoping there's an easier fix for this =\

Anyone have an Olympus body in San Fernando Valley that I can try to update the lens with?
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Anyone have an idea?
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck.
  4. onelouder

onelouder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    I had similar problem but other way around. Panasonic lens on Oly body. The lens is currently in for repair.......
  5. Do believe you can firmware update a Panny lens on an Olympus body and vice versa - micro four thirds genré.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You can, yes. But the problem is if the firmware update doesn't finish and the battery runs dry then you've bricked the product you're updating. :(

Don't know why it froze a quarter of the way through... I guess the Panasonic update system is not so great as everyone says (Olympus is the one that always gets a bad rap for its online updating system, rather than using an update file on SD card). :)
  7. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Sorry, I haven't heard of anyone fixing it any other way than having it sent back to the manufacturer for repair (Olympus).

Thanks for the update, though, as I will NOT be updating my 14-54mm mkII on my G2 for sure.
  8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, I STRONGLY suggest AGAINST cross-updating. Learned the hard way. Anyone know/guess what's turnaround time will be? Olympus said it's a simple flash, but from a root level that they have access to
  9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Ah yes, this wonderful 'system' we have

I won't even put a Panasonic lens on my EP3 and I certainly never will on my EM5. Why did these two companies ever decide to collaborate in the first place? Obviously they can't actually work together.
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That's going a bit far. Olympus firmware updates are notoriously touchy. It's not that difficult to brick an Olympus lens using an Olympus body, so blaming this on lack of inter-operability between Olympus and Panasonic is a stretch.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That's an absurd statement. With the possible exception of the 25 1.4, Panasonic lenses work just fine on Oly bodies, and Oly m43 lenses work just fine on Panasonic bodies.
  12. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Olympus makes fine gear, but you are missing out on some equally nice Panasonic gear. The Pan20 works perfectly on my E-PL2, but I don't think I would update the lens firmware unless I had a problem.
  13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

One man's absurdity is another's rule to live by. If I had chosen the Pany camera I'd be saying the same thing about Oly lenses. There are just too many incompatibilities between the two. The largest being the differing image stabilizing methods.
  14. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    +1. That's silly. Only thing you don't have is CA & vignetting correction, besides the obvious IS if it's a Panasonic body & Olympus lens.

Regarding the 25 f/1.4 do you mean the aperture blades clicking? Not really a big deal.

Sorry to hear about the lens being out of action, jambaj0e.
  15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Well, just got the service order authorization from Olympus. Their going to charge the minimum service charge of $72 even though it's a relatively simple fix. Lesson learned =/
  16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    damn, that blows. makes me a be wary of doing any firmware updates on my gear. I get nervous enough on our game consoles (to the point where they are hooked up to battery backup just in case there's a power blip during a flash).
  17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Ironically, I've been hacking my GH2 with the different high bitrate codecs and haven't had a problem yet (crosses fingers). Maybe the Oly lens bricked because it's a 4/3 lens on an Olympus 4/3 adapter on a Panasonic body. Just too many things. I'm sure it'll probably do ok on an Olympus 4/3 body or mu4/3 body.

Lesson learned, lesson learned.