Awkward jog wheel on G3 - or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LudwigVB, Feb 22, 2013.

1. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I dislike the jog wheel on my G3. I find it difficult to operate and ergonomically lacking. I used to have an LX5, also with a jog wheel which I never got used to.

With the G3 it's not a deal-breaker, but I can't help wondering why Panasonic didn't find a better solution. Anyone else feel this way about the jog wheel?

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yeah, I hated that little wheel. The pushbutton action is not positive, it's too narrow and slippery to turn easily, and the detents are sloppy. It felt like tacked-on half-assery, if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Totally disagree - the push/turn wheel is fantastic. (I do agree though that its implementation on the GF1 was better)

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yeah, the clicking action is really mushy, and the wheel doesn't protrude enough from the housing to turn easily and it doesn't have enough travel when pressed in. Not a fan. A nice knurled metal wheel is so much better.

I'm probably about to buy an LX7, and that is the one feature I'm not looking forward to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I've come to like it. The push feature is much better than the typical hold a button and turn on many DSLRs. It would be nice if it were a bit bigger, but it does the job very well. The placement, for my hands at least, is much better than those rings around the 4 way that are common these days.

6. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Same on the G5, horrible little thing. Too easy to accidentally press and too stiff to scroll easily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    I would agree here, it's as good as any jog dial in use. It did seem small initially, but with use becomes OK.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Mine loosened up considerably after using for a while on the turns. Wish it was slightly larger nubs, but otherwise fine with it.

9. I wasn't even sure if I liked the wheel on the GF1 either. The ability to switch functions by clicking the wheel on the Panasonics is a great idea, but I found the plastic shroud around the wheel on the GF1 to be a problem. The top of the shroud projects out as far as the wheel does and restricts the ability to turn it.

10. FredUK

FredUK Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Can the dial on the G3 be turned whilst wearing gloves?
    Is there any other way to change aperture, shutter and exposure compensation settings?

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yes it can while wearing gloves. No there is no way to change shutter or exposure (aperture depends on lens).

12. FredUK

FredUK Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Great, thanks.

13. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    There is another way, but it is (for me, at least), much slower and less convenient. You can add F, SS, and +/- to your quick menu, and turn on the touch quick menu, and then you can change the parameters using the touch screen. The dial seems very easy in comparison, but there is another option that you can try out if you wish.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    First question: only if they're latex surgical gloves!

Second question: not sure, still looking

15. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    That jog wheel is poor ergonomics. I find it's easy to accidentally press it while turning. A dedicated button for +-ev would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The jog dial on my G3 is wonderful. I guess it's a personal thing.

17. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the jog dial was very good to use on the lumix g1 where you use your forefinger to change and click it, i find using the thumb is difficult.

i still dont know why they changed it after the lumix G1....

18. RAC

RAC New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2013
    Michigan
    Rick Church
    G3 wheel

The wheel seems to work OK, but it is a bit to sensitive to the push pressure. I find when I am turning it, I sometimes end up pushing it in as well.

I guess I would prefer it to be just a plain wheel without the push in feature.

Overall the button/wheel configuration of the G3 is pretty well laid out.

19. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I've not used a G3. No problems with it on GH2, GH3 and GX1.

20. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I love the wheel on my G3, of course I've never used any others. But it feels very crisp and intuitive.