Awesome Olympus Patent

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by wjiang, Jun 5, 2015.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus has released a patent that is sort of a combination of Pentax's Astrotracer IBIS guide feature that tracks stars, combined with significant PP like Live Composite. It aims to keep stars static with the IBIS while shifting and blending the foreground in PP (with motion information from the IBIS).

http://translate.google.co.nz/trans...n&u=http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-05-25

Sounds awesome, even if it's just for stacking stars. I can deal with blending a star exposure and foreground exposure myself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - fantastic idea. I wonder if the em1 mkii will get it? Would require tricky setup though (needing lat/long, time, elevation etc).

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Seems like it would be useful to incorporate into a hand held hi-res mode as well. Shift the sensor for for multiple exposures and the ibis history properly aligns the images.

4. wjiang

Not really, all new Oly cameras can get that through WiFi on the phone already!

5. wjiang

I think that's a bit different, in hi res mode the intention is to intentionally shift specific distances, rather than work backwards from effectively random shifts.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm thinking of doing both at once. The sensor is shifting for hi-res and the ibis is running because it's a "long" exposure. The ibid history can realign the discrepancies brought about by camera movement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes of course - the phone and its GPS would have all that - duh!