Avchd files from olympus

pixl10

Mu-43 Regular
Hi
I have shot a lot of Avchd videoes on my EPl3. I want to use windows movie maker, do I have to convert it to WMV files. Can you please advise on what program to use to convert and a workflow for these files. I have only shot motion jpeg before as I did not shoot much video in the past. Now I do a lot more. I want to email videos to friends and family, view them on my HDtv and also burn them to DVD. They are mainly kids school performances etc.

Thank you

adelorenzo

Mu-43 Regular
Welcome to the wonderful world of video codecs. You'd think this stuff would be simple but it sure isn't.

You don't have to convert to WMV but you do have to convert to one of the formats Windows Movie Maker supports. I think there are a dozen or so.

I use ffmpeg which is command line based and handles just about every codec you can imagine. In my case I just re-wrap the AVCHD into Quicktime files but unfortunately, WMM does not support them so you would have to transcode.

If you're not used to working in a command shell there are a lot of other options out there but sorry, can't recommend any as I have never used them.

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran
Whatever you do, save your original files from Private>Bdmv>Stream (all those .mts files) off the SD card. In the future, when computers and software are improved you may want the unadulterated originals to remaster. As for now, you will probably have to convert the video to another format before you edit.

pixl10

Mu-43 Regular
Wow! This seems really hard. I thought windows might be easier. I also have a Mac, Is it any easier with a Mac? I did use iMovie once. How do you save the MTS files on a Mac?

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How do you save the MTS files on a Mac?
You copy the .mts files to your desktop or a desktop folder

Then if you want to play the .mts files on your Mac you need to convert them to Quicktime .mov files using the free Clipwrap program ClipWrap : Trial (Though you will need to purchase the program if any of your videos are more than one minute long)

The E-PL3 takes good looking bright and colorful video even in motion jpeg mode.

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran
On the Mac I use IVI to convert the .mts files. It's available in the app store for a few bucks. Set for video editing, make sure you check the box for MTS Preprocess. Once you set it up it's drag and drop, click start. It will do batches of files. The converted files (m4v) can be viewed in quicktime and edited in iMovie.

ckrueger

Mu-43 Veteran
iMovie can import AVCHD video and then export it in the format of your choice. I say this as someone who has done it but it hopelessly confused by video editing software, so I'd check YouTube for a tutorial.

Latest threads

Top Bottom