"Avatar Puzzle"

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I just uploaded my avatar. Hope you like it. Tell me where's about and why.
    Thanks in advance.

2. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

As it's not Ootmarsum's coat of arms I'd guess it's the one for your family name.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    It is the Coat of arms of Ootmarsum, the place you are from. Easy...no same question to you about mine :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Yip, well done. It's Ootmarsum, the town where I was born and returned to live in.
    I got permission from local government (after payment) to use this sign on the worldwide internet. I'm promoting this lovely city by doing so.

5. angloasturian

That's what I thought of first but after searching on the net I was unable to confirm it - so I opted for the surname answer. Nice coat of arms. Here's my birthplace coat of arms (St. Helens, Merseyside):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sthelenscoatofarms.jpg

The motto ' Ex Terra Lucem' (Out of the Earth Light) refers to the fact that there were many coal mines in and around the town.

and the coat of arms of Castrillon, the municipality where my village (Salinas) is located:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Escudo_de_Castrillón_(contorno_francés).svg

I won't go into details but the cross is the 'Cross of Victory' (symbol of Asturias) and refers to the Reconquest of Spain from the Moors which started in Asturias.

• Like Like x 2
  6. angloasturian

• Like Like x 2
  7. angloasturian

• Like Like x 2
  8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    "Avatar link"