1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Available NOW EM-5 Battery Fantastic Price!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, May 2, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I wonder if higher capacity might affect the camera performance?

3. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks, Giulio.

higher maH will give you longer run time.

4. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am hoping the firmware will not stop the camera from working with non brand batteries like GF-1 did.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is a game that only Panasonic plays.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
  7. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Just ordered one. Thanks for the link.

Steve

8. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know. Thanks for the link.

9. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The price is so good even if the battery poops out in a few months its worth it. I do doubt the batteries are junk though. I have two aftermarket and two OEM BLS1 for the Pen and all four work well.

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks for the heads-up on this. I was really happy with the battery capacity of the original EM5 battery - I never killed it in a day of shooting in NYC. So I probably don't absolutely NEED extras, but I'm always a lot more comfortable carrying at least one extra battery, even if I'll rarely need it. And I've heard horror stories but have never had any problems with after-market batteries, so if these come from a known source, I'm on it...

Now I just hope Olympus uses the same battery over many camera models as it did with the Pens - the extra batteries should work for a few years of different cameras...

-Ray

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks, I ordered one too. Usually I'm not big on 3rd party batteries but it's better than no extra battery and may be just fine.

12. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Let us know how those work! I'm sure there will be more available like this soon, so I'm curious what sort of quality to expect from them. Thanks for the heads-up.

13. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    now that the 3rd party battery is out.
    I'm waiting for 3rd party grip. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ordered!

15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    For sure! Too bad I won't have it this week though. I got a lot of shooting from now through June but that means I'll have some really cool stuff to post as soon as the embargo of the shoots are lifted. :smile:

16. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    My only concern with 3rd party batteries is longevity. I'm a canon user and I've purchased my share of Sterlingtek 3rd party and other brands. I had handful of 3rd party batteries and after one bad experience. The batteries diminished and became low capacity (only 6mth old). I was shooting a wedding reception and had horrible thoughts of failure so i retired the batteries. Oem batteries have given me full confidence ever since.

My experience is the OEM batteries always last long interms of holding charge and longevity of product life.

The price of OE batteries are still quite inexpensive.

17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Generic batteries...Never have, never will.

I'll wait and pay up for OEM.

18. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Sterlingteks are like the best 3rd party batteries I have ever used. Heck, the ones I owned outperformed the original batteries and outlasted them on my old Nikon DSLR. I would without question get Sterlingteks whenever it's available.

19. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Much thanks.. Just picked up a backup myself. The normal battery on the OM-D is quite impressive. Averaging over 400 shots at current... Even outlasted two batts on my aging 550D in the hands of a friend during a photowalk the other day.

Hoping this one is at least 3/4 that ability. Equal would be wonderful.