Auzzie from japan

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by monchan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Hi all, I posted this yesterday but I think I posted it in the wrong place. so cut and paste.

I`m an Auzzie living in japan, had an (starting) interest in film photography around 14 years ago, until a thief ended that. Then I saved up to come to uni. over here, got married and have only had P & S cameras since. But then with twins and my main hobby of kendo which is a great subject to shoot (even with my P&S I got some ok shots) I decided to upgrade. My wife wasnt having any of it when I showed her the price of the OMD, which is what I decided on as I wanted good action shots of kendo. Until last week when my P&S stoped working in front of her, luckily or she would have said I did it just to get a new camera. So I have had it for two days now and have come here for help. Seems like a good place to be a part of.
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Brilliant timing on the 'unfortunate' camera breakdown !!

Welcome aboard.
  3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Welcome.. I have a fascination for kendo.. but lack the discipline :biggrin:
  4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Welcome to the forums, it looks like your P&S want to help you out with it's dying breath. I also live in Japan, though I spend most of the year in northern Tohoku or in Okinawa. Sadly though, I've never gotten to see a live kendo match =[ Any recommendations on how to go about viewing one?
  5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    The best Kendo to be had is without a doubt in kyoto during golden week (may 3rd-5th)
    At a place called the butokuden, behind heian jingu. Every year they have sensei from allover japan come to demonstrate their best kendo, each person only has one go (90sec. each), so they do give it their best. Minimum rank is 6th dan upto 8th dan Hanshi which is the highest kendo goes. 8th dans being on the last day, which is packed the place it`s held in isnt a modern/ large facility but rather a piece of living history that comes to life in may every year.

Failing that, in tokyo they have the all japans, Nov. 3rd every year. thats great too.
    but younger more agile and sporty type of thing.

[ame=]KENDO TAIKAI 2012 IN KYOTO by Empty Mind Films - YouTube[/ame]

check this video out it`s of the kyoto taikai and filmed really nicly too.
  6. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    that kyoto taikai is not the same as the WKF (world kendo federation) right?

from a university club here, and did some kumdo/kendo in korea and my hometown of vancouver.

welcome to the forums!
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I have the similar timeline with my camera story, childhood SLR, later on P&S and now m43, I must say I've got inspired a lot by all that I've went through, and my m43 came just in time too though I don't have a wife :p
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group!