1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Autopsy of an Eye-Fi

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by edwardconde, Sep 24, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently wrote a quick post about my broken Eye-Fi card. I had it for a little over a year now and hardly used it... ANyhow the thing broke into 3 pieces. I submitted a support ticket with Eye-fi support to see what they can do. After telling them I didn't have the original receipt or proof of purchased, I got an email a day later. The email said the they would be sending me a replacement eye-fi card. This is really awesome... The card was already out of warranty and they are still covering it.

Here is a link to my post: http://digitalchemicals.blogspot.com/2013/09/15-min-shoot-autopsy-of-my-eye-fi.html

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Always good to hear of a company standing by their customers. Any abuse it was put through, or worries about build quality?

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Eye-Fi

I just had the plastic casing from an Eye-Fi Pro X2 fall apart after about 10 months. Two emails to customer support and I got a new one via overnight mail. Pretty good service, I'd say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    No abuse from my part. I used it for like a month when i first got it, but it was a bit of pain when it came to my workflow. So it just sat on my desk. Then it would be used from time to time.. I would carry it in my camera bag. Recently tho, I did start to use it with my Pen Mini and it worked fine. It wasn't until a few days ago that it gave up on life...

But sure glad they are sending me a new one...

5. MikeyP

MikeyP Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    With your PEN mini, have you noticed slower startup times when using the Eye-Fi? I have an Eye-Fi Mobile X2 8GB, and it adds 3-4 seconds to the startup time from power-on to shoot-ready on my E-PM1.

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah there is a bit of a lag... My guess it's trying to make the connection to the smartphone or tablet...I usually leave mine on and not really worry about it..

7. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Compared to just shooting with a straight UHS-1 type of card the Eye-Fi card does have a start up and shutdown delay, as well as generally being slower in terms of writes. The card itself doesn't work in a number of readers (they suggest strictly using that orange adapter... or wirelessly transfer everything, raw shooter like myself that's not always practical :D)

It's handy at times though, especially for studio shooting.

8. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah I like it when using for my Instagram shots. I had a bit of any issue yesterday while in an area where cell signal wasn't the greatest and for some reason it didn't work. Not sure what was going in. But as soon as I got a good cell signal it was working again. I didn't think it needed some sort of internet connection to transfer.

9. MikeyP

MikeyP Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks guys, sounds like performance is the trade off for convenience with the Eye Fi.

You might be interested in trying out their beta firmware. I'm using the latest beta, and the card seems a bit more responsive. YMMV. The beta program is on their forums here:
    http://forums.eye.fi/viewforum.php?f=30