Automatic Lens Cap LC-37C with Panasonic 12-32

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JYC2, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    Olympus Automatic Lens Cap LC-37C is originally for Olympus 14-42 EZ. But, I tried it to 17mm F2.8 Pancake and it was very successful and make that lens more convenient.
    Further I tried using LC-37C on Panasonic 12-32 which is very small but somewhat inconvenient because I have to do two jobs for making the lens ready - removing the lens cap & turning the zoom ring - whenever I turn on the camera.
    The result is really successful. LC-37C works pretty well with Panasonic 12-32. Now I don't need to remove lens cap. Just turning the zoom ring when I turn on the camera is OK.

Zoom ring is at its "parking" position. Then the cover of lens cap stays closed. Unfortunately the "ears" of LC-37C are not arranged horizontally. But, it doesn't affect its usability at all. So there isn't any problem.

The cover opens when I turn the zoom ring from "parking" position to "12mm" position. Because Panasonic 12-32 is not an electronic zoom lens, the cover doesn't open automatically as it automatically opens when used with 14-42EZ and 17mm pancake whose inner body extends electronically. To make the inner body extend, I have to turn the zoom ring manually, from parking position to 12mm position and then the cover opens. But, using LC-37C is still much more convenient than using its original lens cap.
    (I slightly modified the text for avoiding confusion.)

Parking position.

The lens is ready when I manually turn the zoom ring.

There are two switches at the ears of LC-37C. The position of those switches perfectly fits for the size of Panasonic 12-32.

Top view. Parking.

Top view. Ready.

LC-37C made Panasonic 12-32 much more convenient. I think that Olympus did really good job, although Olympus doesn't tell that LC-37C can be used with Panasonic 12-32 and Olympus 17mm F2.8 Pancake.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for sharing.
    I still don't quite understand what you meant by " it isn't done automatically as it automatically opens when used with 14-42EZ or 17mm pancake."
  3. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Any vignetting at 12mm?

EDIT: I hope not because I just ordered one.
  4. LucDeSchepper

LucDeSchepper Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Luc de Schepper
    I guess he means the cap doesn't open automatically when the camera is turned on. So it's semi-automatic but still quite useful.
    Thanks JYC2 for this info and the nice product shots. I may give it a try for my E-M10 plus 12-32mm.
  5. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Yes, the Olympus pancake zoom extends electronically, while you have to extend the 12-32 by hand. Not having to fiddle with the cap really helps though.
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    If so, it's very, very slight. I tested it against a white wall and saw absolutely no difference with and without the lens cap. I think someone else claimed it vignettes, but my copy either didn't or did it so little that it wasn't noticeable, even if you were looking for it.
  7. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    I'm sorry for vague explanation. I modified the text slightly for better understanding.
    It is not an electronic zoom lens. So I have to turn the zoom ring manually, differently from 14-42EZ.
  8. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    If distortion correction is turned on, LC-37C doesn't affect the vignetting.

Originally Panasonic 12-32 has noticeable shading at corners, but that shading is almost cut off by the correction of barrel distortion, and we can see very small shading.
    If we see the uncorrected RAW file, we can see quite big shading. (It isn't seen on the RAW file that is opened at Photoshop ACR.)

The remaining "small" shading is also seen when we use LC-37C. But, that is not due to LC-37C but the one that originally exists.

(BTW, in fact there is vignetting. However, that exists at the part that is cut off by distortion correction. If you deal with the RAW file without distortion correction, the vignetting can be problem. But, if you don't want to see the image before distortion correction, the vignetting is not an issue.)
  9. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    That's right. Thank you for supplementary explanation.
  10. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    this is a very neat idea! now i'm quite interested in having a 12-32mm as well. if that's also the kit lens of the upcoming gm2, then i'll put the 15mm on the gm2 and the 12-32mm on the e-m5, since the kit lens will probably benefit more from the IBIS. ;)
  11. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Mine vignetted very noticeably in the extreme corners at 12mm. It was gone by 14mm but was very distracting in shots that included the sky. It was worst at f3.5 but was visible and any aperture. I shoot raw and process everything in Lightroom which always corrects for distortion so I am not looking at uncorrected raw files.

Rather than return the cap I cut away some of the plastic on the cap and the vignetting is gone.