Automated Exif data using adapted/non-CPU lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Sahib7, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Before using m43 I was photographing with Nikon DSLRs.
    One of the cool Nikon features I'm missing is the menu option to add "non CPU lens data" to exifs.

I'm shooting with a OM-D EM-5 and I'm currently tagging my files using lenstagger (a Lightroom plugin) and exiftools.

My current workflow is like that:
    Import RAWs into Lightroom, search for RAWs without lens data, mark them, run the lenstagger command tagging them with "Voigtländer 25mm" (in my case).

"Problem" is that I've just ordered a Voigtländer 17.5mm so that this workflow won't make sense any longer.

So I've thought about some way to automatically tag the files using some kind of identifier.
    The idea is using the "lens focal length setting" from the IBIS menu.
    This data is stored in the "Makernotes" under "ImageStabilisation" at byte position 7 (according to a very helpful post in a German forum from user rodinal).

Is somebody using that approach?
    What are you doing to get your lens data into exifs using adapted/non-CPU lenses?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I take a 5sec video where i say the new lens or fstop. Sort by capture time, go video by video,

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If it is stored there, what EXIF reader do they use to read it? I use Phil Harvey's EXIFtool, and can find no such entry under makernotes.

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
  5. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Unfortunately I've read a lot of bad stuff about these chips.
    They are mostly not working with the EM-5 and they cause incompatibility with some m43 cameras.

I would like to find an automated software solution.

6. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    I've tried it myself using exiftool and 0xED but unfortunately I could not find it myself, too.
    I've written the user who told me that these information could be find in the binary data under "ImageStabilisation" which software he had used.
    He said that the seventh byte is a value which increases with the set IS focal length (e.g. 37 means 300mm and more).

As soon as he has answered I'll let you know!

7. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    I've got the answer from rodinal:

He has used the Python binding of exiftool. This script will print byte seven of the "ImageStabilisation" tag:

import sys,pyexiv2
    im = pyexiv2.ImageMetadata(sys.argv[1])
    im.read()
    a = im['Exif.OlympusFi.ImageStabilization']
    print ord(a.value[6]))

According to him 17mm should be 2, 24mm should be 3, greater than 300mm should be 37.
    But some more testing has to be done as he is not in possession of an OM-D EM-5 anymore.

Very interesting stuff indeed!

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Thanks for the info.

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I categorize my photos on my computer by year and then by lens used. So when I transfer them from sd card to computer I drop them in the corresponding folder. I don't switch lenses back and forth more than a few times a day so I remember where I switched. It's easy to remember based on the scene.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That whole page looks sketchy. I think those chips are for the regular 4/3 mount. I mean if looking at the photos of the chips does not prove it, read the 1st paragraph of that page.. what! a green dot?