1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AutoISO on the E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Jun 24, 2013.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Let me start out by saying that I practically never use AutoISO on any of my cameras. So, this question may be totally uninformed.

Because I'm planning a trip to a number of National Parks and hope to shoot wildlife, I acquired the Panasonic 100-300 lens to give me some decent reach. As I approach 300mm, it becomes more important to maintain a fast shutter speed in order to get a sharp image. I usually shoot at ISO 200, but recognize that I'll need to raise the ISO to maintain the required shutter speed, as my focal length increases.

Rather than constantly changing the ISO manually, I'd like to use AutoISO to have the ISO change when needed (ie - when the shutter speed drops below a certain threshold like, say, 1/300 sec). Is it possible to set the E-M5 to do that?

In the menus, I see that Gears > E > ISO-AutoSet allows you to set the High Limit of the ISO and the Default ISO. But I don't see any way to set a threshold for shutter speed. (My Nikon D300 allows me to do that, but I don't see it on the E-M5).

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  3. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    AFAIK, you can't set limits on shutter speed - only min/Max ISO. The camera automatically increases ISO to keep the shutter speed sensible given focal length up to the Max ISO selected.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It affects shutter speed in Auto ISO with or without flash. Try changing it.

Nope. I thought so at first but this setting does work with shutter speed. It's difficult to observe with a higher focal length because the camera picks the "faster" of shutter speed or 1/effective focal length.

I tested this with my 9-18. At 9 mm, the effective focal length is 1/18 and I set flash sync to 1/250. Camera increases ISO automatically and maintains 1/250 shutter speed.

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Aha! I will give that a try! Thanks!

7. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Try Shutter Priority and Auto ISO

If I understand your question correctly, you can use Auto ISO with Shutter Priority. This way you can set the shutter speed. By using this mode the camera selects the appropriate aperture for the selected shutter speed. If at this shutter speed the aperture is open all the way and you still cannot get the exposure, the camera will raise the ISO to whatever level is needed for proper exposure. Using this approach of course you lose direct control of the aperture, but you have control of shutter speed. You set the lower and upper limits for ISO so you can have it start at 200. Hope this helps.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Seems like you might want "Auto-ISO in M-mode". You set the aperture (widest possible, presumably) and the shutter speed, and then the camera picks the ISO to correctly 'expose' the sensor. I use this feature all the time indoors, or when shooting with a long telephoto in situations exactly like you described.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This is what I do with my epl2.

10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I think the poster wants to use aperture priority and wants the camera to change both the shutter speed and iso.

With Nikon you can set the lowest shutter speed you would allow, If the camera reaches that shutter speed but the exposure is still not enough, that's the time it increases the iso and so forth...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Yes - That would be ideal, but....

.....this is the next best thing, and I'll give it a try. I didn't realize (until now) that AutoISO works in Manual mode on the E-M5. For some reason, I had it set to working only in P/A/S modes. I switched that setting to "All" now, so I should be good to go.

Thanks!

12. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes, glad you found out... I think Auto ISO in manual mode is the ideal way of using that feature anyway.

:2thumbs:

13. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Manual Mode, AutoISO and Exposure Compensation on E-M5?

OK, I gave it a try - (shooting in manual mode with AutoISO) and now I have a question.

I found that in sunny conditions, certain subjects with bright colors get a bit overexposed when I shoot with AutoISO. I don't see any way to quickly adjust exposure compensation because when I change the shutter speed or F-stop, the ISO automatically adjusts to compensate (as it should with AutoISO).

However, in the menus (Shooting Menu #2 - 5th item down), you can set exposure compensation, but according to the INFO button, that only affects Flash compensation. Is there anywhere that I can dial in perhaps -1/2 stop exposure compensation in manual mode for non-flash photography?

Thanks!

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    You're looking for Exposure Shift.

Menu -> Custom K -> Exposure Shift

15. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks again! I will give that a try.