1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AutoISO on G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by vsiddhartha, Apr 14, 2011.

1. vsiddhartha

vsiddhartha Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    There is something that is driving me crazy about my G2. What is the point of the ISO LIMIT function when it seems to function with ISO LIMIT of 400 even when the mode is set to OFF? I have my ISO LIMIT set to OFF, yet when I shoot in Program mode, it won't go any higher than 400 in AutoISO! Why is this?! I would much rather have it go to a higher ISO than a 1-second exposure...

Am I missing something? I would like the camera to jump to a higher ISO when, at the current ISO, the exposure would require a shutter speed longer than, say 1/15. If I could set the shutter speed at which this happens, that would be even better! I can't find a way to change this behavior, but please tell me there's a way (without going to manual ISO or S mode).

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Are you using Auto ISO or Intelligent ISO? They do similar but different things and have different limits. They are also - at least on my GF1 - not always available in various modes.

The ISO Limit controls the top end of Auto ISO, but NOT the limit of Intelligent ISO (I think).

Do you shoot in any other modes than P? Not A?

3. vsiddhartha

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Yes I'm talking about AutoISO not I-ISO. I shoot in P, A, S, and yes, sometimes iA, but Program is my go-to. How high will your GF1 go in AutoISO, with no limit set?

4. chris2470

chris2470 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Right, I have just tried this and my G2 will correctly stop at the ISO limit defined in the camera when using Auto, so I normally set this limit to 800 and this is where it stops.

However, when I turn the limit OFF it consistently stops at 400 !! :confused:
    Turn the limit back ON and it stops again at the defined position.

5. vsiddhartha

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for confirming. At least I know now that I'm not crazy. So what this means is that there is no way to get ISO 3200 or 6400 in AutoISO, right? Not that you would want ISO 3200 or 6400 except in desperate situations, but it is unfortunate that the functionality is not there and that with ISO LIMIT set to OFF it works as ISO LIMIT = 400. I guess I'll just set it to limit=1600 and get over it.

6. vsiddhartha

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Well, here you have it, in the manual

According to the manual:

It is set as following when the [ISO LIMIT SET] is set to [OFF].
    • When [AUTO] is selected, ISO sensitivity is adjusted automatically depending on brightness within a maximum setting of [ISO400].
    • When setting to i-ISO sensitivity will adjust automatically depending on brightness within the maximum setting of [ISO800]. ([ISO400] when the flash is used)

• Like Like x 1