Autofocus speed new Olympus PENs, old lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lillefot, Jul 21, 2011.

1. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello,

One of the new Olympus PENs will most likely be my next camera. I'll try to wait till the e-PM1 is out, but I fear the urge for a E-P3 will be too strong when it's available in the shops where I live. :wink:

But I am a bit confused of which lenses will autofocus quickly on the new PENs. Do I need to buy one of the new Oly primes to benefit from it? Will there be new versions of all the Oly kit lenses? I see the P3 will be sold with kit lenses marked "R", and I'm not sure what that means. How will my Olympus m. zuiko 9-18 be which I bought a year ago? And my Panasonic primes?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All of the new Pens will come with the new, fast focusing zoom (if you buy the zoom kit). All your old lenses will focus faster than they focus on older Pens, but none will focus quite as fast as the new primes and zooms.

3. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    According to tests performed by actual EP3 users, the new zooms (14-42 IIR and 40-150 R) are exactly the same as the old ones (14-42 II and 40-150): the differences are only cosmetics - R should be for Restyling.
    The faster AF of the new PENs is only due to the faster processing speed: this means for instance that all MSC lenses are lightning fast.
    I read also some real tests on the panny 20mm, which is also faster on the new bodies: this lens is now limited by its own focussing motor.