Autofocus Panny 20mm versus 25mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MadisonWisconsin, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MadisonWisconsin

MadisonWisconsin New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2012
    I have the Panasonic 20mm lens on my Olympus OM-D, and it sometimes has a hard time focusing in low light. Not that low -- like, under normal indoor lighting conditions it sometimes seeks a lot. I'm wondering if anyone else has that problem, and whether the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 also has that problem. If the latter does a better job I'm thinking of going with that lens instead.

Thanks!

:)

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The 25 crushes the 20 in af in any light! It's fast!!

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My wife has the 20/1.7 while I have the 25/1.4. Yes, unless you have a well lit room, the 20/1.7 does hunt a bit. Noticeable but acceptable. The 25/1.4 does not though it is bulkier. If you do a search on YouTube, there's a video there that may help you decide. Am on my iPhone so I can't get the link to post here easily.

OM-D, P7-14, mZD12, PL25, mZD75, anxiously waiting for my mZD60 macro

4. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    Panny 25mm is not as fast or quiet as Oly 45mm, but compared to Panny 20mm it is a night and day difference.

If the additional bulk and narrower FOV doesn't bother you, it is well worth the $200 difference in price, imho.

5. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Not affiliated with this video at all - but it was one of the main reasons why I switched from the 20mm to the 25mm:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i34FBAFEBUk]20mm 1.7 vs. 25mm 1.4 on Olympus OM-D EM-5 (Silver): Size, AF speed, Image Quality, Price, etc - YouTube[/ame]

Note: It's too long and what you are probably looking for is near the 3/4 mark

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish Panasonic would put the guts of the 20 into the 14 chassis. I love the size of the 20, but it's such a clunky lens with it's slow AF. If they updated the 20 and made it silent and fast focusing, I'd switch back in a heartbeat. I may consider getting the Olympus 17 1.8 when that comes out. Hopefully it isn't too ridiculously expensive!

7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I have the 20 and although it is a bit slower to focus I am much happier with it then the 17 2.8 I first tried out. The Oly 17 2.8 focused faster but it was not very sharp. The 20 is a bit slower but gives much nicer results in my opinion.

I agree, that if the Oly 17 1.8 is not too expensive that would be a good switch. I like the FOV a bit better.

8. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    It's hard to choose between the two. The 25mm f/1.4 has the autofocus speed and the 20mm f/1.7 has the right size and weight. Both deliver good image quality, neither is perfect. Owning both seems unnecessary, since you most likely only want to put only one of them on your camera or in your bag. At the moment, I'd go for the 20mm f/1.7 because it's cheaper, smaller, lightweight and the slightly slower autofocus is no problem for me.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with all the AF comments. Pretty big difference. The 20 is obviously smaller, but on the E-M5 that never was much of a factor for me. Given the size of the body it just won't be "compact". If you have a smaller body (E-PM2 or E-PL5) then I find the size difference to be a bigger factor.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup Big difference when I compared my 20mm to one in the store. No surprise considering the 20mm is showing its age among the current lineup of lenses for micro 4/3. I'd be happy if Panasonic updated it and managed to keep a similar price.

11. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Went from 25 to 20 recently. The p20 af "problems" is no big deal for me ( and I do alot of low light) the af assist helps alot. Sure p25 was faster! But I dont go around and think about how big or small the difference was between them two, and thats a good sign :)

I also guess that the wider angle of p20 helps autofocus a bit !(?)

I dont miss p25 that much . The versatile p20 does a good job as my ONLY lens...

//gg