1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Autofocus Noise with G3 and 25mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kenc, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    This camera/lens combination makes a faint clicky noise when I press the shutter button half way, and makes the same noise when I press the Fn2 button which I have set to AEL/AFL. The noise is reminiscent of several canon DSLR/lens combinations (actually much quieter) and wouldn't normally worry me, except that other lenses (kit, Oly 45mm f1.8) are virtually silent on my G3. Autofocus seems to be working perfectly and it doesn't sound like the "rattlesnake" noise other people have described with this lens on Oly bodies. Does anyone else get any noise associated with autofocus with this camera/lens combination?

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, my new 25mm does that too. The AF motor is not that quiet, and it's definitely separate from the rattlesnake.

In a quiet room with C-AF and video, the constant tick-tick whirring of the AF from the 25mm gets recorded too... :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    This isn't autofocus you're hearing. This is the sound of the aperture blades stopping down. Using either the shutter button or the AEL button, the camera closes down the aperture to accurately determine exposure.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    ah, that sounds very plausible...

...my x100 makes a similar noise. In any even, I have stopped worrying. Thanks for the advice.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nope. It's the AF. Shoot at f/1.4 and you'll still hear it. If it was the aperture blades you wouldn't hear the sound since there is no stopping down if you're shooting wide open.

The AF and aperture sounds are very different.