1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Autofocus noise on Panasonic 42.5 Nocticron

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ginobonetti, Aug 9, 2014.

1. ginobonetti

ginobonetti Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi,

I am getting to test the Nocticron over the weekend and noticed right away that the autofocus is not nearly as silent as I would have imagined or got the impression of from the reviews out there. On my sample the autofocus is quite noticeable and also scratchy. Difficult to describe but it does not sound healthy on my E-M5, E-M10 and GX1.

I recorded the sound and put it on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ginobonetti/nocticron-autofocus-noise

Can any of the owners confirm this as "normal" or is it "just" a bad sample..?

Thanks,
    Gino

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Sounds normal to me, there is a very faint noise when focusing, which sounds something like your recording. About on par with most other m43 lenses.

3. ginobonetti

ginobonetti Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Compared side by side this Nocticron is actually a lot louder than any other m43 lens I own (like e.g. Panasonic 25 f/1.4, 12-35 f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8 or thy Oly 75 f/1.8).

4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Ok, when I checked before there wasn't any difference in focusing noise, because the IS on my EM5 is louder than the AF with either lens.

So, turning the IBIS off, the PL25 is a little quieter than the PL42. But the difference is the PL25 is very very very quite, and the PL42 is only very very quiet. Its hard to notice unless you're specifically listening for the difference with IBIS/IBIS on half press off (I suppose more noticeable on a Pana body). The P25 makes a slight click(aperture blades?) when snapping into focus sometimes which is noticeably louder than anything the PL45 does though.

I tested with the OIS of the PL42 on but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference in noise.

Unless your PL42 is like 10x louder than your PL25 I would say this is normal.

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    The 42.5mm makes a more noticeable noise in focusing than all of my other lenses bar the 20mm f/1.7 which is a noisy little hornet, but I wouldn't consider it loud at all. It's not going to bother anybody around you even in a quiet environment. The only time it might matter is if you're using AF in video.

6. ginobonetti

ginobonetti Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Thought I'd let you guys now: I got a second lens today and this one's not nearly as noisy and doesn't have the "scratching" sound. Not as silent as the Oly 45mm though, but quite close. The first lens was definitely a "bad" sample. Anyway, doesn't speak in favor of Panasonic's QA. The lens focused properly, but there should not be so much tolerance in production. Particularly not for the most expensive lens in the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I'm disappointed by this "scratching" sound too, very noticeable, especially when compared to my other lenses.

8. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    hmm, a year later I re-purchased this lens after selling it last year. This new lens seems much louder than before!