Autofocus lens adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zacster, Dec 27, 2011.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but why can't someone build a M43 adapter with autofocus in the adapter?

Say you set your lens to infinity focus, tell the adapter the focal length, and let the sensor and adapter do the rest. I guess this would only work with fixed element lenses, as it wouldn't be able to control focus on a moving element, and zooms may be a problem. But if I have a fixed focal length lens, with fixed elements, why can't an adapter do the rest? Using it with aperture priority would make it almost as useful as a native lens.

The drawbacks would be size, it would have to be big to hold the mechanism, and cost I'm sure. Would it be worth $400 to use a lens that cost $50 on eBay? If the fixed adapters cost $200 (not the cheap ones, which are ~20) a fully functioning one would easily be twice that. 35mm lenses already overwhelm an E-PM1 with their size, what's another few millimeters?
  2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Nikon AF convertors (TC-16AF and TC-16A) were a 1.6magnification. So- get a 2x crop factor, put in a 1.5x teleconvertor with AF- get a 3x magnification. That 50/1.4 becomes and F2 ens with 3x magnification. And- the movement of the AF adapter is limited, so you still have to manually focus to get within the ballpark.
  3. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    pentax also has a 1.7x af teleconverter, so i guess it's possible, but not many people would pay for such a product