Autofocus lens adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zacster, Dec 27, 2011.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but why can't someone build a M43 adapter with autofocus in the adapter?

Say you set your lens to infinity focus, tell the adapter the focal length, and let the sensor and adapter do the rest. I guess this would only work with fixed element lenses, as it wouldn't be able to control focus on a moving element, and zooms may be a problem. But if I have a fixed focal length lens, with fixed elements, why can't an adapter do the rest? Using it with aperture priority would make it almost as useful as a native lens.

The drawbacks would be size, it would have to be big to hold the mechanism, and cost I'm sure. Would it be worth $400 to use a lens that cost $50 on eBay? If the fixed adapters cost $200 (not the cheap ones, which are ~20) a fully functioning one would easily be twice that. 35mm lenses already overwhelm an E-PM1 with their size, what's another few millimeters?

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Nikon AF convertors (TC-16AF and TC-16A) were a 1.6magnification. So- get a 2x crop factor, put in a 1.5x teleconvertor with AF- get a 3x magnification. That 50/1.4 becomes and F2 ens with 3x magnification. And- the movement of the AF adapter is limited, so you still have to manually focus to get within the ballpark.

3. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    pentax also has a 1.7x af teleconverter, so i guess it's possible, but not many people would pay for such a product

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.