Autofocus just died on my Mk II OMD EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ymc226, May 23, 2015.

1. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    On holiday for the weekend and one moment the AF is working the next it isn't. Now the display via the EVF indicates MF. On the menu display, MF shows and cannot be selected. Pressing the MENU button, the AF MODE choice cannot be selected as well. I'm using the 12-40 PRO zoom (the only lens I have for this body).

Of course support is not open today. Is this a camera or lens issue? BTW I did a full reset. Is there a way to do a full factory reset? I haven't had a chance to update the firmware. Still on version 1.0.

When I partially press the shutter release, I can still hear the IS but no focusing happens.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Try disconnecting your lens and wiping down the contacts. Use a cotton swab and a bit of alcohol if you have it.

3. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Just a stab in the dark, but is it possible that you bumped the manual focus clutch on the lens? I've done that more times than I can remember and started freaking out when I half pressed and autofocus didn't work.

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Do you have the focus ring on the 12-40 PRO pulled back? It will never autofocus if the lens is in manual focus.

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    One more thought - on the Mark II it is possible to inadvertently depress the DoF review button enough to interfere with auto focus.

6. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    Thanks all. I stupidly did bump the focus clutch when I picked up the camera. All is good. This is what happens when one has too much gear and does not become familiar with a system before going on to the next.

7. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Update to the latest firmware is also very important!

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Whew! Easy fix.

9. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    Same thing happened to me [emoji6] and I posted the question here also. Since, I have used the manual focus mode several times for special focus needs. Enjoy your amazing lens.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Happy ending! I can now sleep in peace. :sleep: