AutoFocus (green) Box Location

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Anyone know how to get the autofocus (green) box to always default to the center of the frame when shutter is pushed halfway. When I push the shutter halfway, the box shows up at some location (rarely in the middle). Obviously I sometimes want it off center and I know you can move it with the arrow buttons. If 90% of the time I want it to be dead center, it would help if I could have it always start out there.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I can't help myself here ... RTFM. Page 35.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I must be dense but I don't see a fix in the manual. When I choose the central box using that method, the camera will sometimes light up a box off to the side and then I need to move the focus box manually back to the center.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you sure you're on single-point, and not a multi-point?
    Menu => sprocket => AF/MF => AF Area

• Like Like x 1
  5. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    See the set home position on page 79 of the manual.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for the help NED,

I checked Menu => sprocket => AF/MF => AF Area and made sure I had the single center point selected. I got out and focused and the green box was on the right side of center. I checked the menu again and the central box was selected. I got out and focused again and the green box was on the left of center.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Try reset the camera to the factory default settings and do everything again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I now went to the SCP and noticed that all the green boxes were selected so I choose the central one only. Next I set the home position as noted on 79 of the manual.

Problem solved.

Thanks guys.

I guess I need to spend a little (a lot) more time with the manual on this thing.

9. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    That's the way to do it.
    You can also reach that via the SuperControl Panel (or what was it called?).

Or, easily, with nothing selected on the screen, simply press the left button on the wheel (it's marked with three dots).

But these are all shortcuts to that AF Area.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Have a nice time reading the manual; for me it's usually very annoing but sometimes necessary.:smile:

11. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Dry Manual

I had it next to the bed for a while and did read through it but the darn thing puts me to sleep and is far from a straight forward guide to the camera.

The manual generally makes me feel old and stupid.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think that often manuals are written by aliens for another camera instead of the one you bought.:rofl:

13. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I usually read manuals on the toilet. :biggrin:

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Very stimulating...:biggrin:

15. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    For me, with the EPL1 at least, I found the " idiot's guide" much easier to understand than the official manual... I read it through a couple times even before the camera arrived. Official manuals seem to be written the same way as income tax instructions

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

16. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Pg 197. If you owned cattle this year while working for the railroad with a 529 plan for a grandchild, please use the worksheet 21 in Appendix Q to determine if you are eligible to move the green focus box to the center. :smile:

The discussion has drifted from the green focus box to lousy manuals, bathroom reading and then tax forms. At least I tried to bring it back to the focus box.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

In Italy that's for sure.:smile:

18. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    The paper manual that comes with the camera is also a reduced version. The full manual can be found in PDF on-line and on the CD that comes with the camera (there's a CD right?)

You'll love that manual once you've read the OM-20 one!!

19. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I read (well, skim) the whole E-PL2 manual and E-PM1 manual before I even got em.

I'm one of those that would much rather read something technical than say...a book.

20. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If you're studying the manual at home, it may be valuable to download the PDF version so you can easily search for a specific topic. I keep manuals for all my cameras on my iPad.