1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto Tone in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Richella, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've just returned from a weeks vacation in Krabi and loaded all the images into Lightroom. I was rather shocked to find that all the 5 bracket HDR photos I took were automatically adjusted in Lightroom so that the exposures looked identical. At first I panicked a little thinking I had screwed up something in camera (I did and will post a separate lesson learned on that one).

However after a little investigation I found that I had the automatic Auto Tone feature turned on in the Lightroom preferences. This feature automatically adjusts all the basic exposure settings to give what Lightroom thinks is an acceptable exposure but for HDR shots is totally confusing.

I have now simply turned off the automatic Auto Tone setting in the Lightroom preferences and reset all the images and now things are as they should be. Just thought I would share this quick tip as it had me confused for half the morning.

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hehe, I can see that being really baffling :biggrin:

However, you must have changed that setting in Preferences, yourself, at some time, it doesn't install with that setting as the default.