Auto run slide show ideas?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Photodan1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    My mother passed away early today and I would like to put together a slide show that will run on a PC at the church for her memorial service. I have Lightroom and I know there is a slide show function, but this will be running on another computer. It needs to be able to run itself. Any suggestions?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    First, sorry to hear about your lose.

Second, export as PDF in LR with the repeat option selected. Then in Acrobat reader set the preferences in the Full screen section to loop after last page. The CRTL-L to enter full screen mode.

I use that all the time and most people use Adobe Reader. And if they don't the probably have some other reader with similar options.

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Thanks David. I think that sounds great!

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last summer a good friend died, and I used Lightroom to create a slideshow set to music for her memorial service.

IIRC, LR requires MP3 for the soundtrack. My friend's partner chose the photos and numbered them according to the desired sequence. I used Photoshop to create a title frame and to do some minor retouching to some of the older photos I'd had to scan. I chose the music, ripped an MP3 and put it all together in LR. I then exported to video at 720p. MP4 is the only format available, although you can choose from several resolutions. Video length is ~4min.

The final video was actually a part of the memorial service and was projected onto a 10ft. (?) screen in the church sanctuary where the service was held. After the service, a buffet style meal was served, so a 46" LCD TV was set up in a common area, and the video was looped.

Many people commented that they liked seeing the video as part of the service, but they also liked to be able to watch the video more closely later. Some friends and family were unable to travel the distance to attend the service, so at my friend's partner's request, I posted the video on YouTube (non-published link) so everyone could see it.

If you're interested in seeing the video, I'll PM you the link. And if this sounds like something you'd like to do, I'm happy to provide more info on the few gotchas and how I resolved them.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.