1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

auto rotate on vertical shots

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wzfoto, Aug 7, 2012.

1. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I have been going through all the settings on my gf3 and couldn't seem to find a setting to make all vertical shots rotate automatically. Right now all the portrait orientation shots are imported side way into lightroom. Is there an auto rotate setting on the gf3?

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Only if you're using a lens w/ OIS can you do this. For some reason, Panasonic decided to cut an orientation sensor out of their cameras and rely on lens OIS for orientation data.

This has changed w/ the G5 and GX1 as they include an orientation sensor. Hopefully, anything else moving forward will also have one.

3. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Ok thanks, I never thought orientation sensor is something that does not need to be included. And I only have the 14mm and 20mm, which explains why.

4. Haris

Haris Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2011
    Panasonic was very cheap on this one

I had same issue when I first used GH-2 with 25mm 1,4. I believed that my camera was broken, but got the correct answer once I used 14-140 lens.. :)

5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    This drives me slightly nuts with my e-pl3 too...handily it's a very quick fix in LR

Rotate 90 left: CTRL + [
    Rotate 90 right: CTRL + ]

Generally I've shot a few of them in a row and you can just select them all (shift/ctrl click) in grid view and rotate all in one.

6. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    It just makes me shoot more horizontal images than usual.

7. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've always been puzzled by this. Even really inexpensive point and shoots have orientation sensors. The absence of one is actually a deal-breaker for me - it prevented me from pulling the trigger on a bargain priced E-PM1.

8. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I will admit that an orientation sensor is nice but is it that big a deal? If I liked a camera other than that I still wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think it depends on how you shoot. 90% of my shots are landscape. But if I was 50% or 80% portait? It would be a problem.

Also the stupid part for it costs pennies.

10. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I can see that I guess, and if you also shot a lot of images