Auto-Rotate Feature

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I own a GH2 and when I import my pictures into LightRoom 3, I have to spend a good few minutes rotating my pictures. After a brief search on the internet, it seems that if the camera has an auto-rotate feature, then Lightroom will adjust this automatically during the import.

My first question is am I correct in this?

And if so, does my GH2 have an auto-rotate feature? (I've searched and have yet to find anything in both my camera body and the internet... but I know people here have far more knowledge about this than I do...:2thumbs:)

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, but you need an OIS lens to have the orientation sensors.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Current Panasonic 4/3 cameras don't have an orientation sensor in the camera. However, OIS equipped lenses have an orientation sensor, and images shot with those lenses will auto-rotate in LR. However, images shot with lenses like the 7-14, and 20 /1.7, which do not have OIS, will not auto rotate.

As far as LR, you do know you can select (highlight) all the vertical images and rotate them all at once?

4. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Is the new 45 mm from olympus an Ois lens?

And can you elaborae meyerweb?

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No Olympus lenses have OIS

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus haas IS built into the body, so they do not need to produce lenses with IS.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    In the Lightroom library, assuming you're in thumbnail view, select all the pictures you want rotated. Then, rotate =) They should all do it.

Yes, it's annoying, but it's a minor downside for me. It's more a principled anger for me. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find room to stick an orientation sensor in the camera somewhere.

It also helps that I always tilt to the same side when shooting portrait so it makes it easier to select and rotate all in one swoop.