Auto : only ISO

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DrNuy, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DrNuy

DrNuy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    France
    E-M1- II
    For relatively moving subjects (i.e. street photography), I need to choose a fixed speed AND a fixed aperture (set for the desired hyperfocal).
    So that the only auto parameter would be the ISO values.
    I have RTFM, but nothing in the manual about that. Have missed something ?
    I have heard of other brands allowing this setup. Have I, really ?

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You need to turn on auto ISO in M mode. The setting is under Gear-E|ISO Auto on my E-M1.1 and has the choices of P/A/S and P/A/S/M. Once you change it to the latter, you can select auto-ISO using the SCP.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Be careful using auto-ISO in manual mode. If the light suddenly becomes brighter, the camera may not be able to set the ISO low enough to compensate and will overexpose the image.

For street photography I prefer to put the camera in A mode with auto-ISO, and here’s the key part, in auto-ISO set a minimum shutter speed of 1/400 s. That way I get the shutter speed I want, but if the light changes and gets much brighter, and the camera has already bottomed out at ISO 200, the camera will choose a faster shutter speed to avoid overexposing the image.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DrNuy

DrNuy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    France
    Thank you 2,
    Yes, in manual mode, auto ISO does not work as I would have expected. Exposure adjustment stays manual ...of course.
    OK for A mode and minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO settings. Clever !

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You could leave it on manual and just make sure the shutter speed is high enough. On A the aperture will always be set and the time will vary.

6. Would you not just up the iso to a clean maximum for the conditions then set aperture in A mode and know you have enough speed for each shot, then the only thing to concentrate on it the focus.

7. Drdul

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    You could do either of these, but neither deals with varying light as well as letting auto-ISO do its thing with a specified minimum shutter speed. Both suggestions would result in higher-than-necessary ISOs much of the time (e.g. shutter speed of 1/1600 s and ISO 800 vs 1/400 s and ISO 200). I have found that 1/400 s works for me 99% of the time, so I would prefer to keep the shutter speed at 1/400 s so I can have lower ISOs, or in winter (which here in Vancouver is usually dull and grey) I can get enough light with my ISO capped at 6400.

8. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    What stays manual in mode M + autoISO?

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Probably everything but ISO? Is this a trick question? :hide:

10. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I am using a g-9 Mode such as manual and ISO are separate functions. normaly I set ISO manually,but of you set shutter speed and aperture on manual,and set ISO on auto you get the effect of making sure that your pictures all have an adequate shutter speed. This compensates for differences in lighting. Good for street,wildlife ,airshows and shooting fast out the car window.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I mean that exposure is not manual anymore because the body sets iso to get the desired exposure.

So it seems to be exactly what was wanted.

I'm surprised by the "exposure stays manual of course".

12. Do the Oly bodies support exposure compensation when in manual aperture/shutter speed and auto ISO? My Nikons do but most Panasonics dont' (which really erks me).

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    The original EM5 and EM1 both support auto iso with ec for aperture and shutter priority. I’m 99% positive all OMD models do. The Pen F and EM1mk2 will also support it in manual mode.

14. DrNuy

DrNuy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    France
    I'm surprised by the "exposure stays manual of course".[/QUOTE]

- Not completely, in fact. When the speed should be lower than the minimum assigned, it is kept to this minimum and the ISO increases instead.
    If there is more than enough light, the speed increases and the ISO stays to its assigned minimum.

Whereas in manual mode, with a fixed F (remind : for hyperfocal purpose) and fixed speed value, the ISO does not automatically changes : you have to set it ....manually (and, if needed, compensate the exposure ).

That is how I understand what Drdul has written.
    I may be wrong.

15. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Indeed. This has happened to me several times, and there is no indication in the EVF that the image will be over exposed.

Your solution is better than the one I tried.

16. Drdul

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Correct. The only thing I have to add is that once the camera has increased the ISO to the maximum value that you’ve set, if there still isn’t enough light for a proper exposure, the camera will then choose a shutter speed slower than the limit you’ve specified (this is in A mode, of course). For example, I have a custom setting on my Pen-F with a minimum 1/400 second shutter speed in auto-ISO and a max ISO of 6400. If it’s dark enough that the camera has already ramped the ISO up to 6400, then it will start slowing down the shutter speed to, say, 1/250 second or whatever is necessary to achieve a proper exposure.

17. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Not if you allowed auto ISO in M mode in the menus.

You can see it on the exposure meter.

The problem with using A mode a minimum shutter speed is that you need to go in the menus everytime you want to change the wanted shutter speed.

In fact, except on landscapes where I mostly use A mode, I use probably 90% M mode with auto ISO: I choose aperture & speed, and I don't care about ISO.
    The other 10% are situations where I need exposure compensation, as it is unavailable in M mode.

18. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 All-Pro

Regarding exposure compensation while in manual mode, I have found that the value of compensation selected in either S or A mode is maintained when M mode is selected afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. My question was (and I prob should have made it a little clearer), if when in M mode with AutoISO, is exposure comp available?

According to this post it is not.

20. But you can't change it when in 'M'?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.