Auto/Manual Iris?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jackc866, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jackc866

jackc866 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Something I'm having trouble figuring out:

I'm having trouble understanding why my camera (G2) takes it upon itself to adjust lighting/exposure/iris/whatever.

O.k. In Manual. I adjust my shutter, aperture, and ISO to exactly what I want. Then I move to a different room, or near a window, and all of a sudden my camera compensates for the difference in light. I've been through every setting and I can't figure out why it's still doing this automatically (I have the auto ISO turned off).

On a regular video camera, I'm able to use a manual mode to adjust my iris setting to what I want. And then when I pan across a window, the rest of the room does not go dark because my iris is locked.

What am I missing here?
    Thanks!

2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Hi there. Are you pressing the wheel to change to aperture control? Mine in manual mode (M) is like this, I turn the wheel and set the speed, then I press the wheel and now turning it sets the aperture.
    And when I have a different light, the meter bars change to show me that the exposure I have selected is not correct any more.

Sorry if it not the case.

Best regards

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Which mode is the camera in? iA, P, A, S, M or video?

Because the behavior you describe is exactly what it should do in some of those modes ...

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Don't mis-understand your camera adjusting your LCD brightness automatically to match the available lighting with the camera adjusting the actual lens settings automatically. The LCD does adjust to compensate so you can actually see what you're shooting even in dim lighting, even though the actual photo you take will be governed by the settings you have.

5. jackc866

jackc866 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Ahhhrrggg!!! Thanks PhotoSmart42! That's what it is. I did not know that. I always miss the obvious.

That answers another question I had concerning why I get a shot perfect in the LCD and the photo comes out totally different. I know, I know, it's not a $80 HappySnap camera from Wal-Mart.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you hit the "trash" button, then the display button, the screen will switch to wysiwyg