1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto Mamiya/Sekor es 55mm 1.4 lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cbelter, Mar 20, 2015.

1. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    Hey everyone,

I picked up a mamiya/sekor auto xlt body with a Auto Mamiya/Sekor es 55mm 1.4 lens. I am wondering if there are any adaptors for this lens to go on a OM-D EM5 MK2? i think it would be a cool 110mm 1.4 lens on my m43.
    IMG_20150319_215716.

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'm no Mamiya expert but I think early lenses were M42 screw (probably the easiest adapters to find) before they adopted the Z bayonet (adapters definitely available). They produced very decent optics so it's worth a few pounds to get an adapter. My guess is it will be rather soft wide open (older 1.4's typically are) but pretty good a stop or two down.

3. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    @ManofKent@ManofKent its not a screw on mount. typical slr style. there is a auto aperture plus a manual aperture ring that does not work.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've never seen or heard of an adapter for these Mamiya ES lenses. Unfortunately it was a mount that was supported for only a couple of years and a handful of (maybe even just two?) bodies. As such, production of a commercial adapter is not likely to be commercially viable.

I imagine if you were really motivated, you could design and 3d-print something that would work, but I doubt that the results you would achieve with this lens would be worth the effort. Not that it's a bad lens, but there are lots of other reasonably priced, easily adaptable 50ish f/1.4 lenses available.

I think I'd either pop some film in that XLT and see if you like what you get there, or use it as a nice looking paperweight/bookend/decoration.

5. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    @DeeJayK@DeeJayK fair enough. I got the camera and lens for $15 so not to worried about it. I might just toss some film in it and put it with my collection of other cameras. Thanks for the input.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's too bad, as the Mamiya/Sekor lenses I've tried adapting have been pretty good optically.

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'd forgotten about the short-lived ES Mount - I think it was only used on one or two cameras. The register distance was pretty similar to M42 (there was an adapter to fit M42 lenses on ES Mount bodies). I'm sure an adapter could be made by an engineer, but I don't think there's a commercial option.