1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto ISO on he GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mohun, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I've recently puchased a GX7, moving from a GX1 and, before that, a GF1. I'm starting to fine tune the GX7, learning the menu changes from the GX1, etc.

My other camera body is a Nikon D610 DSLR, and, as with the Panasonics, I always use aperture priority and shoot RAW and pp in Lightroom. I've been experimenting with the Nikon's improved "auto ISO" with which both the minimum and maximum ISO levels and shutter speeds can be set. The Nikon's recent improvement is that the AUTO ISO system recognizes the focal length of the mounted lens and the auto ISO can be set to adjust the shutter speed to that focal length and 2x and 4x iterations thereof.

I've found no very clear instructions in GX7 manual about what, if any, auto ISO features are really available and, if so, how they may be configured, but I seem to have erroneously, inadvertently or simply jumpred to far of myself and set some sort of maximum ISO at ISO 1600. Since then I've read from some posters that with a high "Auto" ISO setting (that info is shown on the back LCD) like my 1600, for example, has "programmed" the GX7 to make images at 1600 whether the shooter has desired that or not and, at the same time, under som conditions, has also set shutter speeds as low as 1/15.

What I'd like to do is turn off this so-called auto ISO feature on my GX7 and go back to what's worked well for me with my GX1 and GF1, i.e., simply setting the ISO manually, while making my own judgments about the appropriate aperture (which I almost always have selected, subjected to any depth of field issues I'm facing), and a shutter speed sufficient to stop any action in the planned image.

How do I go back to straightforward manual ISO selection?

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    After writing the response below, I re-read your original message and confess I'm not quite sure what you are talking about -- but when I first started working on my GX7 I often got "stuck" with some settings I couldn't figure out how to fix, so a couple times I chose to reset my camera to factory default settings -- you can find this setting in the Setup Menu.

My GX7 is in the shop, but iirc the interface is essentially the same on both cameras; call up ISO, move the cursor off auto and on to the ISO level you want to use and select it with the middle btn.

3. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Oh, you must be talking about the ISO Limit Set feature -- you have to dive more deeply into the menu system to turn that off:

Menu > [REC] > [ISO Limit Set] then select the "none" option.

Hope that helps.

4. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I think you've nailed it. Thanks for showing me the path.

I'm not sure what would be the purpose of setting (a self-imposed) ISO limit. Is it a warning tipoff or reminder to the user about an imminent over-exposure if the ISO would be raised beyond a certain level? That would still require the user to have a good notion of how much is too much.

That limit setting is not, then, related to any auto ISO function. If the GX7 has one, I can't find it, but I'm a bit curious still. It would seem to have to have a shutter speed setting to work in any way similar to that function on the Nikon DSLRs.

5. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    This function sets an upper-limit to which ISO the camera may choose when in auto or intelligent ISO modes -- I've used it to prevent going to super-high ISO that may be too noisy for what I want in a given shot.

6. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks. I'd meant noise level (which could be estimated by previous experimentation and should be set against the subject, i.e., a noise level on the lower end for most portraiture is likely to be desirable, whereas it may not be of paramount importance in a quick and (literally) dirty photojournalism grab shot.