1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto ISO OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SjonnisKroket, Oct 20, 2012.

1. SjonnisKroket

SjonnisKroket New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi

Where can i set the shutterspeed of the Auto ISO? I think that 80th of a second for a 20mm lens is a bit too much to raise the ISO.

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    As far as I know you can't - except of course by using Shutter Priority mode so you can determine whatever shutter speed you wish. Obviously that means losing control over the aperture selected, but if this is important you can control both shutter speed and aperture in Manual mode, letting the camera choose the ISO to suit. This effectively turns Manual into a semi-auto mode, but you do lose the facility of exposure compensation, which does not work under this arrangement.

3. SjonnisKroket

SjonnisKroket New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2012
    Really? That's crap.. Most camera's starting to have different auto iso settings depending the lens you are using

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    What you could do is to raise the "slow sync limit" under the flash settings. This makes the auto-iso a bit less conservative. This is only useful if you dont use flash that often

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Well, the camera does vary the shuttter speed (and hence the auto ISO) according to the focal length used, but as far as I know it is not user adjustable. What bothers me more is that you cannot use exposure compensation (i.e. cause the Auto ISO value to change) in Manual exposure mode.

6. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Good tip. :smile:

7. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    :2thumbs:

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    In the E Menu you can set the Auto ISO behavior for Manual mode. It can either be a default of ISO 200, and adjusted to other values through the SCP (ISO-Auto set as P/A/S) or it will automatically adjust in response to changes in shutter or aperture (ISO-Auto set as All).

You want it set as P/A/S to use ISO for exposure compensation beyond what you already get from shutter and aperture changes in Manual mode. This gives you total control over three of the four elements of exposure (the fourth being the lighting conditions).

Setting it to All sort of creates a hybrid version of P mode since the camera will always adjust the ISO to provide a standard exposure in spite of your manual settings.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Shouldn't you be lowering the sync speed in settings, not raising it to allow the camera to go even lower on shutter speed before bumping up ISO? That was my understanding on this, but I could be wrong.

10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Thanks for this, but if I set Auto ISO for P/A/S instead of "All" it prevents the setting of Auto ISO in Manual mode. If I set "All" then it does allow selection of Auto ISO in Manual mode, but doesn't facilitate exposure compensation.

What I would like to do on rare occasions is use Manual mode to set a specific shutter speed and aperture that does not vary, but use Auto ISO to effectively turn it into a semi-auto mode by allowing the camera to vary ISO to achieve a correct auto exposure. Up to this point it works exactly how I want, which is great, but in addition I would also like to be able to dial in +/- exposure compensation, causing the camera to choose a correspondingly lower or higher ISO. I cannot find a way to achieve this, but perhaps I'm hoping for too much!

Having said that, I've been looking at the suggestion made by uci2ci to vary the slow sync flash limit and within certain parameters it works really well. Generally, if using Auto ISO in Aperture Priority, the camera will attempt to set a shutter speed of around the recipricol full frame focal length equivalent, i.e. 40mm, full frame equivalent 80mm, shutter speed 1/80th second, then vary the ISO to match. This is quite good because it adheres to an established precident for minimum hand held shutter speeds according to focal length and seems to have a base threshold of 1/60th second. However, there may be times when you require a faster shutter speed to cope with subject movement rather than camera shake. if you set the slow sync flash shutter speed to, say, 1/250th second, this does indeed influence the shutter speed when using auto ISO. For all focal lengths of less than 125mm (250mm equivalent) the camera will set a minimum shutter speed of 1/250th second, subject to enough ISO headroom, of course. 1/250th is the maximum flash sync speed of the camera so obviously this method cannot be used to set a higher minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO, but this does go a long way to achieving what I want.

Edit:- "and seems to have a base threshold of 1/60th second" This is, in fact, incorrect. If the equivalent focal length is less than 60mm, then the shutter speed will fall below 1/60th second (unless a faster slow sync flash speed has been set). My widest lens is 14mm (28mm equivalent) and the shutter speed automatically set is 1/30th.

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, the flash sync speed also controls the shutter speed threshold for changes in ISO when using Auto ISO.

12. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Not generally for hand held photography. If maintaining a low ISO is important than this should be set in camera rather than Auto ISO.

13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Okay, but Auto ISO Set to P/A/S still lets you use the Super Control Panel to set the ISO to anything you want, giving you the exposure compensation in Manual Mode you were looking for. It has the exact same effect you're looking for, you just can't do it with the dial without activating ISO selection in the SCP first.

14. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Thanks for clarifying that. :smile:

15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

We don't use that sort of language around here.

16. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I meant "raise the slow sync limit" in the sense that 1 second is greater than 1/2 second. I should have said "slower slow sync limit"

17. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Gotcha! Thanks.

Rafael