1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

auto iso confusion - flashing iso numbers but...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nathan_h, Jun 28, 2013.

1. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Super surprised that after searching I could find no one with this problem....

.....so it's almost assuredly user error.

On my OM-D I use auto iso, typically in A (aperture priority) mode. In the settings I let the upper limit be 3200 since I don't mind a little noise, and want to have more room for good depth of field or slow lenses.

But for some reason, when I use auto iso, i get a flashing "3200" like it is trying to get to an iso that is out of range.... when shooting in bright light, when "auto" almost assuredly should be selecting something far lower (even 200 perhaps). Bright sunlight, with the kit lens, at 14mm, for example.

Like I say, it must be user error, but I'm not sure what the error is.

Note that the photos themselves don't look overexposed, which is what should happen with an ISO that high, in bright daylight...

2. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I will be watching this thread with interest as I too have the same problem at times...flashing iso in seemingly good light. I assume user error as well but can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Are you using an OM-D as well?

4. Nordiquefan

Mar 12, 2013
    I am indeed.

5. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Colorado
    Dan Sullivan
    Have you looked at the EXIF data to see what ISO it actually chose when it did this?

6. hanumantmk

hanumantmk New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2013
    New York City
    Jason Carey
    Perhaps you've set the lower limit

Any chance you've mistakenly set the lower limit rather than the higher one to 3200?

7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The only thing that springs to mind is are you in manual mode?

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

8. Nordiquefan

Mar 12, 2013
    I have not. Good idea though. I'm going to try to recreate the same situation that causes this to take place and check.

I have the lower limit at 200 and the upper at 6400. It seems to happen regardless of mode (P, A, S, M).

It doesn't always happen for me, only occasionally, enough to be an annoyance though. The odd thing is it even happens sometimes with the PL25 mounted and set at f1.4. Now it does tend to happen indoors but I have huge windows that let in a boatload of light (or so I thought).

I'm going to see if I can borrow a light meter to see what I get with it. Perhaps the light just isn't as plentiful as I think it is.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You'll have a chuckle after I tell you what the flashing is for.

Because the Auto-ISO function is for less experienced photographers, when you reach an ISO that has the higher potential for noise it will flash to let you know! It will flash at ISOs 3200 and up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nordiquefan

Mar 12, 2013
    That would be a first. Any flashing number relating to exposure on any digital camera I have ever used was to inform you that you needed a larger value as it relates to the parameter in question.

Someone please correct me of I'm wrong.

11. Nordiquefan

Mar 12, 2013
    Also, auto ISO has absolutely nothing to do with experience level and I resent the implication, however true it may be. Auto ISO is very useful when shooting manual as it gives you a kind of ISO priority mode of sorts.

For that matter, it gives you one less thing to think about when running and gunning. The auto ISO feature on the OM-D, functionally speaking, is light years ahead of the one on my old Canon 40D. I find it works quite well and usually selects an ISO that I would choose myself if I were to set it manually.

12. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    That's classic. Really? So what does it do when it cannot raise the iso any further? (And one is already out of room on exposure and aperture? I guess it flashes one of those, too.)

13. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Good to check but no, lower limit (default) is at 200 and upper limit is at 3200.

14. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Says 3200 so I guess I was using all the headroom.

15. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I was seeing this in P and in A, which are what I use the most. I am curious why using M would be a factor, which is implied by your question.

16. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    But I guess the good news is that the camera is behaving as intended, even if it seems strange to me.

17. Nordiquefan

Mar 12, 2013
    After comparing the numbers my OM-D generates to a Sekonic light meter, it seems my camera is @ 1 stop off of the reading on the light meter.

Having never used a meter before, can anyone tell me if this is common or is there more likely something wrong with the camera? I would have thought they should be an exact match.

I've only had the camera for a couple of months. This would explain why the pictures always seemed off. I thought it was just my monitor needing a calibration.

18. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Try this?

Flash Compensation + Exposure Compensation

The manual says....When set to [On], it will be added to the exposure compensation value and flash intensity control will be performed. I have not tested what this does in reality. I leave it Off and manage flash by using Manual mode with selected ISO, Aperture and shutter speed and let TTL flash fill in as appropriate with possible added flash compensation to make things look nice.

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Except for this number.

To test this set your Auto-ISO upper limit above 3200...you'll find that ISO 3200 will still flash, even though you have room for the camera to choose a higher ISO.

20. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Auto ISO does not work in Manual.

You must select each parameter yourself. Shutter, Aperture and ISO.