Auto image rotate?

MirrorlessMan

Mu-43 Rookie
I have an EPL1 and EPM1 but can't seem to find the auto image rotate feature. This is where camera will auto rotate an image when taken in portrait orientation.

Thanks

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I don't know about the EPM1, but I'm pretty sure that the EPL1 doesn't have an orientation sensor in the camera.

The PEN Lite and Mini series bodies do not include an orientation sensor. Only the PENs (E-P1, 2 and 3) and E-M5 include this capability.

On the Panasonic side, I believe that only the <strike>GF1 and</strike> GX1 includes an orientation sensor. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm not right.

Edit: Corrected assertion about GF1 above.

Redridge

Mu-43 Regular
what a PIA... my epl3 doesn't auto rotate and have to do it in posts. WTF?

Mu-43 Legend
One of the ways they try to force you up to the next body level. It's a little cheap, IMO.

I often rotate in camera, so the metadata is changed. Rotating in post in LR (at least when working in RAW) generats a sidecar file.

Rotating in the camera is easy. When playing back, press the OK/set key, and you enter into some playback options. Press rotate, and now you can quickly cycle through and rotate the ones you want. I do agree, though, it's a pain, and whilst I accept it on the cheaply priced EPM1, I don't understand it on the EPL3, which is not inexpensive.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
One of the ways they try to force you up to the next body level. It's a little cheap, IMO.

I often rotate in camera, so the metadata is changed. Rotating in post in LR (at least when working in RAW) generats a sidecar file.

Rotating in the camera is easy. When playing back, press the OK/set key, and you enter into some playback options. Press rotate, and now you can quickly cycle through and rotate the ones you want. I do agree, though, it's a pain, and whilst I accept it on the cheaply priced EPM1, I don't understand it on the EPL3, which is not inexpensive.

Good tip on the benefit of rotating in camera. :thumbup:

I agree with you that the lack of an orientation sensor seems more like a marketing ploy than anything else, especially given that even Olympus and Panansonic's least expensive point-and-shoot models include one. Maybe there's some reason I don't understand why it's cost prohibitive to package a sensor in their ILC bodies.

MizOre

Mu-43 Veteran
The PEN Lite and Mini series bodies do not include an orientation sensor. Only the PENs (E-P1, 2 and 3) and E-M5 include this capability.

On the Panasonic side, I believe that only the <strike>GF1 and</strike> GX1 includes an orientation sensor. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm not right.

Edit: Corrected assertion about GF1 above.

Depends on the lens -- with 45-200mm and 14-45mm lenses, it shows orientation; with the 20mm lens, not.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I do agree, though, it's a pain, and whilst I accept it on the cheaply priced EPM1, I don't understand it on the EPL3, which is not inexpensive.

I don't understand it period. It's cheap enough that *SOME* method of orientation detection should have been used. I'm looking at Panasonic mostly... I find it ridiculous they basically left it out of almost everything and relied on lens OIS.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Depends on the lens -- with 45-200mm and 14-45mm lenses, it shows orientation; with the 20mm lens, not.

I assume you're referring to the Panasonic cameras? So do you get orientation with the Panny lenses that include OIS (image stabilization)? If this is the case, does anyone know if this extends to Olympus bodies when using Panasonic OIS lenses?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Okay, after some research it appears that the answer is that the Panasonic bodies rotate images when using OIS lenses. The GX1 and upcoming GF5 have orientation sensors in the body which will support automatic image rotation with ANY lens.

Using a Panasonic OIS lens on an Olympus body does NOT give you image rotation. The PEN Lite and Mini lines have no ability to use this feature, regardless of the lens.

Mu-43 Legend
But the EP3 does have an orientation sensor, so Oly is just keeping it out of the low-end cameras. And the sensor can't be that big, given that the iPhone has one.

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
I have an EPL1 and EPM1 but can't seem to find the auto image rotate feature. This is where camera will auto rotate an image when taken in portrait orientation.

Thanks

That coupled with the fact that the E-PL1 has no remote cable release option makes it the red-headed stepchild of the PEN family. Still, it is a decent camera and one of the best sellers of them all. Import, select all, rotate. Works for me. And at least I only have to do it once :cool: .

To Oly: put an extra sensor on the board the size of a tic-tac, because this is just annoying in general.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
That coupled with the fact that the E-PL1 has no remote cable release option makes it the red-headed stepchild of the PEN family. Still, it is a decent camera and one of the best sellers of them all. Import, select all, rotate. Works for me. And at least I only have to do it once :cool: .

To Oly: put an extra sensor on the board the size of a tic-tac, because this is just annoying in general.

To be fair, the E-PL1 is slotted and marketed as an entry-level camera. By the very definition of entry-level, one should not expect it to have ALL of the features and functionality of the higher priced models. Sure, I'd love to have an orientation sensor and remote capabilities and another control dial or two on my E-PL1, but then what would I have to complain about in this forum? :wink:

I'm chalking up the lack of auto image rotation in the "mild annoyance" category.

loveimage

New to Mu-43
when i had the rotation problem, the only way i can find is upload to the computer and rotate with an easy-to-use image rotater. such an idiot.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
what a PIA... my epl3 doesn't auto rotate and have to do it in posts. WTF?

This is a non-issue to me, as I will rotate the images through the OS before doing anything with them anyways. The Orientation data is nothing but a PITA to me. Nothing is more frustrating than Photoshop reading that orientation data and automatically rotating a sideways image for you while you work on it, then saving the image sideways but with the metadata intact which is supposed to tell other programs which way to turn it. What if that other software can't read the metadata (which would include both web browsers and most local computers!)? Well then your image is sideways unless you go in and rotate it again, and if you do that then it will be sideways in software that CAN read the metadata. Why would you want that inconsistency?

It is so much easier, in my opinion, to just do it right the first time! Forget the damn Orientation metadata, and turn the damn photo yourself the way it's supposed to be - the actual file, not the extra info passed on to do it "automatically"! I use a Windows system, and it is very easy for me to select all the portrait-orientated photos together, then right-click and choose "Rotate Counterclockwise". The computer thinks for a while then everything is finished, and done right.

[/rant]

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
It is so much easier, in my opinion, to just do it right the first time! Forget the damn Orientation metadata, and turn the damn photo yourself the way it's supposed to be - the actual file, not the extra info passed on to do it "automatically"! I use a Windows system, and it is very easy for me to select all the portrait-orientated photos together, then right-click and choose "Rotate Counterclockwise". The computer thinks for a while then everything is finished, and done right.

[/rant]

For RAW this is pointless since any program that can read the file needs to understand the metadata to begin with. For JPEG, rotating as you suggest involves resampling and recompression - in other words it decreases quality. That's the whole reason for the orientation tag in the first place. Surely a better solution here is simply updated software.

Latest threads

Top Bottom