Auto focus on E-M 10 MkII

Rusty69

Mu-43 Rookie
I am not a novice photographer, but as years go by and I don't update my gear frequently, new features turn up and leave me flumoxed. I recently replaced my Fuji HS10 bridge (super all purpose camera for travelling) with the Oly MFT. I have been trying to capture a hummingbird that frequents my back yard and to help in this process, I set my AF in tracking mode. I keep the camera handy close by the back door (still waiting for the little bugger to return). My question is, if I choose to suddenly take the camera and use it for an entirely static shot, am I right to assume that the AF tracking will not make a blind bit of difference to the outcome (assuming I set the green square on the target in the framing process at the outset)? If I am right in thinking this way, does it make sense to use this AF mode on a constant basis?

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I own your same camera and do not use the C-AF with Tracking mode for auto focus. There are other MFT bodies that have more processing power and features (e.g. Phase Detect AF in EM-1) that allow for more consistent tracking by the camera body. The E-M10 II relies only on the Contrast Detect AF or CDAF which is wonderful for fast and accurate single (S-AF) lock onto a subject but not tracking. C-AF is best left for video too, just stick with S-AF

To capture the hummingbird, I would suggest changing your AF point to a single, or small grid in the center of your view. This will speed up the camera by giving it less to consider across the frame. Additionally, try Anti-Shock or Silent modes in Low or High frame burst to increase odds of a sharp photos. Shutter Priority with a sufficiently high speed to freeze the motion of your bird could aid in your goals too.

Good luck.

Rusty69

Mu-43 Rookie
This was just the sort of feedback I was hoping for LS. I love this camera, but found the options overwhelming. I will persevere. My Monarch captures have been terrific, so I know I am on to a winner.
P8200095.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
This was just the sort of feedback I was hoping for LS. I love this camera, but found the options overwhelming. I will persevere. My Monarch captures have been terrific, so I know I am on to a winner. View attachment 773993

Great photo! You might look for tutorials online and YouTube for good core settings. I like @Rob Trek and Robin Wong to help demystify the powerful choices in Olympus menus. Keep going!

Rusty69

Mu-43 Rookie
I took your advice and downloaded Rob Trek's videos. I had already followed Robin Wong, so I am slowly getting comfortable with my new "toy". I greatly appreciate the fact that there are people like you on this site, who care enough to give great advice without being judgmental. Many thanks for the great tips.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
It is called the learning curve. And it happens most/all of the time when you change cameras.
That is why I am clumsy with a new camera; I am learning where the controls are and how to do X.
You have to learn the peculiarities of the new camera. Some are more fussy than others.

I am still learning how to configure/adjust the EM1-mk2 for various shoots.
And I still have not used the "custom" settings, though I really should.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom