Auto-Focus During Self-Timer Pictures?

dbzkid777

Mu-43 Regular
Hi everyone,

As obnoxious as this may sound, whenever I try to take self-timer selfies, the focus is always off.
I press halfway, then press shutter to activate the timer, go infront and smile, only to realize, the lens wasn't on focus with my face.

How would I fix this?
I am using an E-PM2.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
It focuses at the time you press the shutter button, not at the time the shutter fires. Basically you have to manual focus and guess, or put a point of reference where you'll be standing.

janneman

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan (John) Kusters
This is not a specific M43 problem, I have had this problem with every digital camera I had. Seems hard for manufacturers to understand that focus is most important on the moment of taking a picture, and not at the moment we are looking at the camera.
For short distances I learned to stretch and hold out a hand to focus on, for longer distances I used to focus on something at more or less the right distance, pushed through to start the self-timer, do a quick recompose and start running :smile: I finally caved and bought a wireless remote control, which makes life a lot easier.

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
This is not a specific M43 problem, I have had this problem with every digital camera I had. Seems hard for manufacturers to understand that focus is most important on the moment of taking a picture, and not at the moment we are looking at the camera.
For short distances I learned to stretch and hold out a hand to focus on, for longer distances I used to focus on something at more or less the right distance, pushed through to start the self-timer, do a quick recompose and start running :smile: I finally caved and bought a wireless remote control, which makes life a lot easier.
I believe the panasonic LX5 focused just before the exposure. The way all self timers SHOULD work

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom