1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto-Focus During Self-Timer Pictures?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Oct 14, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi everyone,

As obnoxious as this may sound, whenever I try to take self-timer selfies, the focus is always off.
    I press halfway, then press shutter to activate the timer, go infront and smile, only to realize, the lens wasn't on focus with my face.

How would I fix this?
    I am using an E-PM2.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It focuses at the time you press the shutter button, not at the time the shutter fires. Basically you have to manual focus and guess, or put a point of reference where you'll be standing.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Try a smaller aperture (higher f-stop) or try using a remote.

Barry

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Using the remote is the best option, as you can be standing in front of the camera when it focuses.

5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    This is not a specific M43 problem, I have had this problem with every digital camera I had. Seems hard for manufacturers to understand that focus is most important on the moment of taking a picture, and not at the moment we are looking at the camera.
    For short distances I learned to stretch and hold out a hand to focus on, for longer distances I used to focus on something at more or less the right distance, pushed through to start the self-timer, do a quick recompose and start running :smile: I finally caved and bought a wireless remote control, which makes life a lot easier.

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or set focus manually ... old school style! Don't let the gear tell you what to do.

7. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I believe the panasonic LX5 focused just before the exposure. The way all self timers SHOULD work