Auto bracketing & exposure issues (HDR)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by -Dan-, Feb 23, 2014.

1. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I was taking yesterday some pictures inside an airplane hangar with lighting all over the place. Most pictures were shot in manual at ISO 400, F3.5-F4.0, 1/15-1/30 with the 14-40 II kit lens. Generally, most pictures turned out pretty decent, in the range of what I expected. So far the back story..

I recently started playing around with auto bracketing and HDR a little bit here and there, primarily around sunset or sunrise. I decided to try to take some pictures with my predefined AE BKT set of 5f 1.0EV with high speed continuous shooting. With my above settings, holding fn1 and going through the bracketing, all 5 pictures it took are essentially dark. Now what did I wrong? Should I have adjusted prior to around F10? Thanks for your help
  2. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    What does the EXIF data say?
  3. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    5 pictures as followed:
    ISO 200
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You exposed it wrong. You state a normal exposure (which should be the middle pic of your bracketed set, exposure wise) was 1/30s, f3.5, ISO 400. Your brightest exposure in the bracketed set is 4 and a bit stops too dark to begin with.

With the DR on most Oly sensors I prefer as wide a bracket as possible, and handheld 3 shots with 2 ev difference is often enough.

The way to bracket is set your exposure (manual mode) based on the meter reading, to a range where varying shutter speed will result in a sharp handheld shot for your lowest exposure. Then shoot the bracketed set.