1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

auto angle detection issue with pl 25 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jyc860923, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm using GF3, which supports this feature (The Auto Angle Detection, which detects when an image is taken vertically and automatically displays it vertically during playback), while seen from the G-Series System Chart my newly bought PL25 1.4 does too. I've enabled the function in menu and the 14-45 lens is doing right with it, but I'm not getting AAD with PL25 1.4, does anyone know why and what has to be done?

TIA!

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not positive about the GF3, but with my m43 cameras (GH2, G3, GH2) this only works with lenses that have OIS, as the camera uses the OIS positioning sensor to determine orientation. The PL25 doesn't have OIS, so....

Do you have a link to the system chart that shows this is supposed to work with the PL25?

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's right. The only Panasonic camera that has an orientation sensor is the GX1. All others rely on OIS from the lens to determine orientation, so non-OIS lenses like the PL25 will always display in landscape mode.

It's rather unfortunate that they didn't spend the additional $5 or whatever to include the orientation sensor. This is after all 2002 technology we're talking about...

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Might be a reason to upgrade to the GF5 when it's available as it will be the second Panny body with a built-in orientation sensor.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川