Auto adjust aperture?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zerotiu, Oct 26, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Hi! I have a question about the lens aperture.
    It seems that the lens aperture blade is like adjusting by itself? At first I thought it is because I were using shutter priority but when I use other mode, the aperture changes itself (I mean technically, not digitally/ when I take photo).

I mean when I set the aperture let's say 2.5. Then I swing the camera, the aperture blade is buzzing, it closes down and/or opens wide automatically. I know this is not affecting the photo because when I hit the shutter button the results still use my aperture setting.

Maybe someone can explain this to me?

2. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Humans are always closing their eyes in bright sun, so sensor needs same protection by aperture blades :wink: That is my understanding of described behaviour.

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    same thought here :) Just curious, because I believe DSLR lenses don't do this

4. DSLR lenses don't do this because DSLRs do not operate with full-time live view. The sensor is only active for a split second during exposure.

5. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Is it okay? Of course it's okay. I mean, the aperture blades always work open and close, is there any side effects?

6. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    They do this to reduce the amount of light coming into the camera. It's completely normal and would have no negative consequences, unless the clicking noise is loud.