Aussie shooters, where do you buy your gear?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Jan 9, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi guys n gals, am busy researching like crazy and trying to figure out where is the best place to order lenses and body etc, keeping in mind a balance of safety in warranty vs pricing.

I have no loyalty to any shops right now, have never been helped in any way at the local Teds, and the one time they did give me some info it was wrong, guys in this forum had the correct answers! :rolleyes:

It looks like I am set to get a GX1, preferably with a 14mm lens, and then purchase a 20mm and Oly 45mm to make a set. If I went with a zoom it would have to be the 14-45, wont settle for the current kit lens. The 14-140 would be a nice lens but budget aint gonna stretch to that one right now!

If anyone has purchased from particular dealers in Hong Kong and had good service I would love to hear about it, if you have avoidance advice but dont want to post it feel free to PM me :smile:
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I always buy my cameras from B&H , amazon or adorama. They are USA based and as u know we can import things below USD 1000. However as far lenses are concerned , I bought Olympus 45mm from ebay - a Korean seller . I am very happy with it .If I am in ur place , I would order GX1 body with Panny 20 mm1.7 from BH and later on 45mm from ebay AUD 329 shipped via Fedex .
    GX1 Body is for USD699 and Panny 20mm 1.7 is for USD339.I would add some SD cards as well . Now Panny 14mm 2.5 will be again from ebay .
    I know Aussie seller s rip us off . Compare lens prices at Teds and these sellers and u will be shocked .

Here is the link .
    OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8 MicroSingle PEN Lens - Free FedEx shipping | eBay
  3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have bought lots of gear from B&H and Adorama, both are very good to deal with. Also bought a couple of items from Digitalrev and Dzone on eBay no problems with either.
    Be aware you will need to change your chargers power plug or get an adaptor if you buy from the US.
  4. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    I've bought various accessories from Hong Kong (not cameras or lenses), and I've always had good service. And the shipping to Sydney is always quite a bit faster than I expect. As long as they have good eBay feedback, they're generally trustworthy.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    eBay, second hand. Unfortunately that won't get you a GX1, or a warranty...
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats why I said mainly cameras from BH or adorama, amazon . Lenses from reputed sellers on ebay .There are plenty of reliable ones .Some how I wanted to buy EPL2 again and persuaded Teds to sell it to me for AUD 499 with kit lens + 16GB card+ extra battery. But they said they will never do that again.
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Moccaman. Ebay is great because you don't pay a certain red head GST and I have very good reports from purchases made from Hong Kong. Sometimes I get items faster from Hong Kong than I do from Melbourne. Digitalrev live up to their reputation and have good communication.

As Bhupinder said as long as it's under 1000 bucks. If it's over that they charge GST on the amount and you get a massive pile of paper work sent to you from Customs. Found out the hard way.:smile:

Not sure what happens if you require warranty on items bought from overseas though. Fortunately I haven't had any problems yet.

A good aussie seller is Digital Camera Warehouse in Sydney. I bought my GF1 from them when it first came out and they gave good service also. I bought it over the phone and I had the camera by the end of the week.

Digital Cameras -Buy CHEAP at Digital Camera Warehouse

8. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I usually shop at dwi, an online seller, but in Melbourne at northcote Is digital cam warehouse, or michaels/cam house in th city
  9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Bhupinder2002: Yes I found that korean seller, been trolling through feebay to try and find someone with all the lenses I wanted, no luck yet, everything is spread out!

I have been looking through B&H, they have a couple of lenses, but not everything, and Kenmore has a great deal on the LVF2 and the 20mm lens for only 10 bucks more than BH so looks like will have to order those bits from them.

These guys on feebay have quoted me for the GX1 and 14mm lens, good deal at $768 delivered EMS. eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Icon: have spoken to DCW a couple of times now, waiting for them to get back to me on the GX1 with 14mm, they only have the 14-42 combo on hand, I would sell that lens and buy a 14mm from ebay along with the other lenses. If I was to go zoom I will get the 14-45, the old series jap made lens.

So $768 delivered from HK from what looks like a well known dealer, warranty back to them, they did promise to check right over the body before shipping as I told them if it had any flaw at all however minor I would not be keeping it :)
    Or $839.00 for the 14-42 kit from DCW, aussie warranty from pana, sell the lens and buy the 14, likely end up owing me around $850-900.
  10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Dannat, yeah I was looking at DWI also, they have the combo kit with both lenses for 800 bucks!! No stock but expect it in a week or so, I want to use it early Feb for some serious nature stuff so risking them getting the stock in could be dangerous :smile: Have you bought full kits off them before? All arrived as expected as new in box?
  11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 to these guys. Bought my PM1 from the Brisbane store.

My other gear is second hand and have come from this forum or ebay.
  12. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Review on dealers (long)

Well I have given up on the GX1 body for now, will wait till later in the year and see what they do with the GX1 ideology, might be decent revisions or even a series II type model.
    I want to get my old man into this too, he has been an avid SLR shooter for decades, but digital to him, like so many people has meant point n shoot so far.
    So my decision is a GF1 body locally and a GF2 as well while they are being run out so cheap and pick the best of the lenses. Cannot lose on a GF1!

Now for my experiences so far with all the various dealers:

DCW has a good sales desk, calling them for info is quick and easy and they can give you a pretty accurate timeline for stock thats due in. Unfortunately they dont have many deals on older pana right now but their price on the GX1 kit is the best around for genuine Aussie stock. They did have one too in QLD but was display.

Teds: Dealing with them on the phone for anything more than simple "have you got this" is pointless, I spoke to 4 shops and only 1 was reasonably helpful. The main outlet was the worst, after a local shop told me they had 3 GX1's showing as in stock in main outlet I called them up and asked about the product, mentioned DCW price, and was told some BS about no stock, only a display model and no discount on even the display model. Also they had no idea the new Oly VF3 was a lesser model to the VF2, they said it had the same resolution and quality but was just updated for the new bodies. So do your research and wait for sales.

I looked through other dealers in OZ and their products but the pricing is a killer here for any local Pana delivered product, and pretty much all the other online dealers are grey market sellers so while they may be here the product comes from HK, this cannot be classed as an Aussie shop.

B&H: Great range, prices are good but communication is lacking, simple emails are answered with one line and completely miss the content of my query! Sad really, as I was happy to use them.

Kenmores has a good range but for some of the older stuff their prices have not caught up yet with the majority.

Adorama has a really huge range and prices were on par with B&H, and they have lots of options of combos, single parts, could find everything in their site, takes a little longer to navigate but once you know the site its good.

DWI has great prices and seems to offer a reasonable warranty with their own centre in Sydney, but its still a Hong Kong product and after a little questioning I found out they are not a pana dealer in HK, they get their stock from wholesalers who can get it from anywhere in Asia.

DigitalRev, hard to get on the phone, next day email is ok. They have some good deals, but their prices on lenses and acc' cannot match the US sellers. Their warranty sounded good when I asked about it, basically they say take the camera to your local repair centre and get a quote, they will pay for it. In practice unless I have this in writing and/or know of others who have done this and had no issue, I will remain dubious as to the worth of this offer.

Ebay dealers: There are various large ebay dealers listing most of the pana range, pricing on the GX1 seems really good but most of the other models are not really competetive with US, strange, cannot work that one out. Warranty is an issue when you ask questions, and their stock comes from all over the place, like 3rd hand grey import, after reading some reports of issues with camera operation on units purchased from Ebay HK, I am less keen on this method for bodies.

This is purely my own experience, so take it as just information to add to your own and extrapolate what you will from it :smile:
    End of the day I ordered my lenses etc from Adorama, spoke to them on the phone this morning and was happy with the service, also got the mack warranty, 3 years for 49 bucks, seemed sensible for the price as its international and they have lots of places to take your gear to on their list.
  13. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Yep bought one kit & numerous lens from dwi with no worries
  14. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    It's good to remember that items into Aus are duty free only up to AUS$1000.

In general, Australian camera pricing is nothing short of gouging. I was surpried, then, when the Fuji X100 first appeared that their Australian price was very close to the US price. I hope that will also remain true for the X-Pro1.
  15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    1000AUD!!! And don't forget that that is the total price, including shipping...

Anyway, I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H and never had a problem. I also visited their super store when I was in NYC and they were amazingly helpful (let me play with an M9 and CV 35/f1.2 :smile:)
  16. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Olympus bodies seem reasonably priced in OZ if you look at the right places. I got my EPM1 twin lens kit for $688 last November at Georges which was cheaper than importing from BHphoto, adorama and DWI. ATM, it seems buying from the same store would only be 20 or so dollars more expensive then importing which too me is worth it.

I wouldn't recommend buying lenses from local stores tho....freakin insane prices.

Also, you can grab a 16gb Sandisk Extreme SD Card for $36.50 at SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC 16GB 30MB/s Class 10 (Australian Stock) OzBargain Exclusive!: sandisk-sdhc_extreme-vid-16gb-oz1 Unique Mobiles | Buy Cheap Mobile Phones - Online Australia rather than buying the card from your local tattooed hipster employee at JB for $120 or so.
  17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    I think you will find its worked on the goods price only here, I have had stuff come in via DHL from the EU with an invoice value of around 900 bucks and shipping over $250 (large heavy item) and it came straight to me. Also bought a set of wheels from the US which cost me 940 bucks, shipping was 280, came via fedex and straight to my door.

Oh and dont forget most Asian sellers will put a low value on the package as a force of habit, even if you ask for the full value good luck getting it on the documents. Only EU and US stick to invoice value.
  18. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    I agree, even if a camera with lens was $50.00-$100.00 more here I would not hesitate to buy it here if it was over the counter.
  19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I have found that it is the total cost on the invoice, including shipping. I've ordered things from B&H for less than $1000AUD with shipping that pushes it over, and I've been charged tax.
  20. foxtrotnaut

foxtrotnaut New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2012
    I recently purchased their GX1 kit with the 14mm 2.5 and 14-42mm. Everything came as expected to Melbourne in around 3 working days. They also had a promotion recently with free shipping but that may be over now.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
    • Like Like x 1