1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

August 2011 Photo Contest Sponsored by NIK

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Luckypenguin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. For the fourth installment of the Nik Software Photo Contest, the theme is not just about the image but about the image processing. To thank Nik for supplying the prizes, the requirement of this contest is that your entry must have been processed using Nik Color Efex. Don't own a copy of Nik Color Efex? No problems, you can download a 15 day trial version of the software from the Nik website to experiment with this powerful piece of software.* If you have already used your free trial of Color Efex you are welcome to enter an older image that you processed during that time.

We're looking for entries that showcase the variety of filters available in Color Efex. The subject matter is up to you. You must list the filter/s used to process your image as part of your entry.

The contest winner will receive a full copy of the Nik Software product of his or her choice. There are six products to choose from: Nik Software, Inc. | Products

Contest Rules:

• Participants must be registered members who have made no fewer than 3 posts here at mu-43.com.
    • You may enter a photo now and post later, but both the contest entry and the 3 qualifying posts must be made prior to midnight (GMT) on August 25, 2011.
    • Only one contest entry per person.
    • You may only enter a photograph which you yourself have made.
    • The entry photo must be taken with a Micro Four Thirds camera, and EXIF data must be intact so that this can be verified**.
    • Maximum photo dimension should not exceed 1024 pixels.
    • The photo may have been taken at any time, not necessarily during the month of the contest.
    • Moderators at Mu-43.com and SeriousCompacts.com and their families are ineligible.
    • To enter, simply post a photograph in this thread. HTML and code are enabled to make posting as easy as possible. For detailed information about how to post a photo in this or any other thread, see [URL="https://www.mu-43.com/f77/how-post-images-forum-threads-316/"]here[/URL].
      [*]Each month, we will show the winning photo on the Mu-43.com home page. By entering the contest, you grant us permission to show your photo for this purpose in the event that you should win. Other than that you continue to hold all rights reserved with respect to copyright of your image.
      [*]The contest winner will be determined by member vote (poll). Voting will begin on August 26th, 2011 and end after 7 days.
      [/LIST]

[I]* Nik Color Efex is a plugin designed to work within image editing software such as Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop, and Apple's Aperture. Color Efex is a not a stand-alone software; you must have one of the aforementioned softwares installed to run it. Click on one of the links to the Nik Software website in this post to learn more about the software and hardware requirements to run Color Efex.[/I]

[I]** The entry photo must be taken with a Micro Four Thirds camera, and EXIF data must be intact so that this can be verified. If you do not know what EXIF is, no need to worry. In most cases, the EXIF will be there automatically. In the event that the winning photo does not have intact EXIF data, we will ask the photographer for the original file (in-camera JPEG or RAW) so that we can verify that it was taken with a Micro 4/3 camera[/I]

Reminder: Mu-43.com members are eligible for a [COLOR="Red"]15% discount[/COLOR] on all Nik Software products by using the coupon code [B]MU-43[/B] at checkout.

Thanks to [URL="http://www.niksoftware.com"]Nik Software[/URL] for sponsoring this contest!

• Like Like x 4
  2. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Bi-Color Filiters for Montreal's Biosphere

Here's my submission: "Montreal's Bioshphere" using Nik Software's Bi-Color Filters in Color Efex.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isoneedacoffee/5932031205/" title="Biosphere by El Abecedario, on Flickr"> 5932031205_3bb05c4dd0_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Biosphere"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  3. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
  5. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Edited now!

6. For anyone unfamiliar with the Color Efex software there are training videos and pdfs available on the Nik Software website which can be found under the "Training" tab.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I've been looking for time to try out the software trial. with a 15 day trial and a bit over 15 days left in the month, it looks like now is the best time. Thanks Nik for sponsoring this cool competition!

8. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Train Station

Here is my entry. Taken with a GF1 with 9-18mm lens.
    Processed with Tonal Contrast and B/W filters.

Train4.

• Like Like x 16
  9. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    Holy Cow DTChan, that's strong brotha

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks... Hope I get a vote this time haha. These contests are fun.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    dtchan ftw!

12. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    what is this Bleach Bypass you speak of
    i must retreat to google and research!
    i love it!

14. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    hehe. It's one of the filters in the Nik Color EFEX software.

15. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Mu43Contest-.

GH2 Lumix used

Filters -

Glow filters with temperature warming to accentuate the dust/hair rim light.

Center Spot (brighten Center) with control points to block off faces/hair.

• Like Like x 9
  16. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hot off the press! Taken today. My daughter and son-in-law to be. This was one of around 100 taken for their engagement. E-PL2 & 14-150mm. Plenty of standard portraits taken so wanted something slightly different for one of the better ones.....

Nik Filters:
    Pro Contrast
    Dynamic Skin Softener
    Tonal Contrast (Hair Eyes)
    Cross Processing (L03)

160u6av.

• Like Like x 5
  17. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    Here I am trying to emulate the one I did before using Silver Efex Pro.

Filters:
    bleach bypass
    b/w conversion
    tonal contrast
    film effects
    vignette
    classical soft focus

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  18. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Miss China.

Posing in Chinese traditional dress by a pool.

E-P2 and Voigtlander 25mm F0.95

Niks Color Efex Pro set at Polarisation then at Pro Contrast.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's my first play around with the Nik software.....I like the many presets and the user interface is quite intuitive. Not a technically great shot, but I keep coming back to it. I used the Bi-Color filter to add some warming tones. The original was pretty nice, but the greens were a bit out of control.
    I call this one "The Chase"

Olympus E-PL1 by Lukinosity (too busy working...maybe forever), on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  20. gekopaca

gekopaca Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2010
    First, the final picture :

Then, the original (no post-processing), shot with Panasonic Lumix DMC GH1 + C-Mount SOM-Berthiot Cinor 50mm f2 @f2.8 - not so bad, eh? :

Now the process with Nik Color Efex :

Conclusion : really quick, easy and intuitive to use ;-)

• Like Like x 6