1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Audubon Swamp Garden

Discussion in 'Nature' started by isabel95, Apr 23, 2012.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

at the Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, South Carolina.

If you don't wait too much longer, you can still shoot comfortably in this lovely venue. Happy to report we were not assaulted by bugs!

Not only are anoles and other little lizards hard to capture with a camera, but you won't always see an anole displaying his mating finery as he was here, when a quick click caught this:
    7094862123_cb4d9cca4c_o.
    Anole male in search of a girlfriend by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr

Panasonic GH2 with Panasonic 45-200 lens.

Isabel

• Like Like x 16
  2. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Lovely picture Isabel. They chopping the plantation down then? They'll never learn.

3. isabel95

Thank you - chopping the plantation down? Huh?

Ah...I see why you might infer that from my post.

I meant if you wait too long it will be too hot and buggy to enjoy a stroll through the swamp! Also, there won't be babies in the nests at the Rookery.

Glad to be able to straighten that out! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Yes, got it wrong, no matter. :)

I go in the swamp all the time, just use the least effective amount of odourless repellent on exposed skin and the bugs don't bite but I still get my shots and I can do it again tomorrow, just don't use Deet - accumulates in the system and eventually poisons you.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very beautiful Isabela. what a beautiful creature of nature.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. isabel95

Didn't know that about Deet! Yech!

What then should I use?

Just did a little web search and found this: Bug Spray Dilemma: Is DEET Really That Bad?

Thanks for the warning.

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    great shot.... love those lil fellas.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Just a low irritant, odourless spray. If your hands are sensitive to too much of it use a small cloth to spray on it and use it to put on wherever necessary. It's only necessary to be effective for a short while, 2 or 3 hours at most is all I can usually. If I'm going to make a day of it I'll bring the can along - gets wiped off in long wet grass very quick.

9. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    If you want tto go really earthy-crunchy, lemon grass works pretty well. Just rub some around your wrists and ankles, or tie on some sprigs. I never use repellant, because my wife usually has all the bugs following her. She got the tip about lemon grass while we were travelling in SE asia, and it actually works. So well, in fact, that now I need to worry about repellant for myself...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2

10. isabel95

Have to watch greasy fingers!

I was out shooting in the sun and used sun screen which I didn't get off my fingers and wound up with a very smeary lcd. I won't use anything with my fingers again, be it sun screen or bug spray!

I'm going to try Cutter Advanced insect repellent which doesn't contain Deet - some of their products do.

11. isabel95

By the way, one of my photographer friends told me he uses clothing which is impregnated with permethrin, an insecticide. Lasts through several washings.

From what I read it is quite effective, even for skin not covered with it.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use a product called 'Repel' which uses Lemon Eucalyptus oil, and 'Off!' actually has a skin cream with the same ingredient but no deet. In any case, other than deet, I've yet to find a product that works on everyone consistently.

If you use deet just be aware that it also melts certain types of plastics, like the rear LCD cover on your camera.

13. isabel95

Egads! Deet melts lcds????

I hope that others read this thread!

I was not thrilled with the grease I got on the lcd from sunscreen, so I am extremely careful now not to get anything greasy on my hands in the first place when I have to use a camera!

14. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Impregnated clothes seems a bit over the top, and doesn't cover the exposed areas so there's more to be used. I don't care what the science says, they are always changing their minds, use as little as necessary for as short as possible. The body absorbs everything it comes in contact with.