1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Audio Equipment

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by alienastronauts, Jan 17, 2014.

1. alienastronauts

alienastronauts New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2013
    Tallahassee
    I'm very new when it comes to working with audio. I have recently purchased a Rode videomic pro for immediately better sound, but I am of course looking to improve my overall setup for future projects. I have worked mainly on event coverage, music videos so far and audio hasn't been as important, but now I am moving into commercial work and short films and would like to hit the ground running so to speak. Thanks for all your help in advance.

I am looking into getting a small juiced link preamp for clearer audio, and the ability to record directly into camera. What are your thoughts on and or experiences with Juiced Link products? Is it worth it?

I am also looking for the best possible budget boompole set up, so I can have better control of my audio when recording. What is your current boompole kit consist of? What would you recommend to a newbie?

2. tomeusantandreu

tomeusantandreu New to Mu-43

Apr 8, 2014
    Palma de Mallorca - Spain
    Tomeu Santandreu
    Hi! I recently ended a shortfilm and used a Rode stereo videomic+ Tascam DR07m2 with nice results. It is no on-camera recording so you have to sync in post.

3. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    A juiced link is definetly Worth it, great sound for your money. Regarding a Boom I would just use the cheapest one I can find. Its just a stick with a shock mount and shouldnt cost as much as the mic.

4. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    The Juiced Link preamps are very good for the price and your best option at that price-point. Definitely worth it.

All low-end boom poles are pretty much the same. They only begin to differentiate themselves at higher price points with carbon fibre construction and internal cabling. (both worth it, but they come at a significant cost that's probably beyond the scope of a "budget boompole")

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... my portable units consist of the following .....
    Unit #1 ...... E-M5, Olympus SEMA adapter, Olympus LS-14 recorder
    Unit #2 ...... E-M5, Olympus SEMA adapter, Zoom H2 recorder
    The recorders can be used with external mic's, or by using the built in mic's.
    Some of the mic's I use include a pair of vintage Sony F-40's, and a pair of vintage Ross, Audio-Technica shot-gun and stereo mic's, a large number of Olympus and MXL mono mic's.

..... studio unit .....
    E-M5, Olympus SEMA adapter, Yamaha Audiogram 6 portable mixer/pre-amp (powered with a small 12 volt battery and a 12v > 5v voltage regulator)
    with this unit I usually use a pair of Shure 58 mic's in the stereo mode or a pair of Audio Technica shot-gun mic's.
    The Yamaha Audiogram 6 is USB powered (5 volt) and is also used in post production. It's a great piece of equipment and costs just over $100. Yamaha also makes a smaller unit which is very good, but a little less versatile.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm a little confused. Doesn't your Rode do that on its own?