Attended a EM-1 "hands-on" last Friday

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by caimi, Oct 15, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I won't say which brick and mortar store but I think Olympus is smart in offering these things to potential buyers. I suspect the store provided information that I had bought Olympus from them before and I got an invitation via email so, interested in the EM-1, I decided to attend.

We were given about two hours to wander about the store and outside to shoot an EM-1 and it proved to be a nice camera with very fast AF, big, brite viewfinder and all the other things that make the EM-5 a great mirrorless camera. Just not enough to get me to pop the $1400. Maybe when it comes down in price a bit.

As for the two sales reps: meh! One was asked what "hdr" stands for and he answered "high definition recording". The other was unsure of many of the exterior controls on the EM-1. Hey Olympus, if you're going to promote your new cameras in this way you might get salesmen who do their homework first.

Overall a nice opportunity offered by Olympus though.

• Like Like x 3
  2. agedrunner

agedrunner New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2013
    Colorado
    Olympus offered a test drive of the M1 camera through Mike's Camera in Denver in September. The Olympus representative gave some initial instructions on using the camera, and we were turned loose for 2 hours to shoot as we pleased. Mike's sent 2 salesmen with us who were Olympus users and knew a lot about Olympus. Even though they had only seen the camera for the first time 2 days earlier, both of them were a lot of help. My wife and I had never had used an Olympus camera before and have Nikon cameras, we found the Olympus very easy to use. Mike's took several preorders from the test drive. The preorders came in about a week ago.

3. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Man, that's a pet peeve of mine, as well.

Fortunately, here in LA, we have a plethora of great, brick and mortar stores, and Samy's seems to hire people who actually take the time to know the equipment they sell. The first "DERP!" answer I get from a sales rep and I'm out the door.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Our local store together with Olympus hired a venue for the afternoon and had 6 Olympus reps, 2 Olympus sensor cleaning guys, a model on a trampoline and various demo rigs for Live Time and droplets demos. And, of course, plenty of gear to try out. A few freebies and a 100€ voucher for everyone who attended. I think Olympus were taking it seriously. The store had advertised on their website for anyone to attend.

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I went to one this past Saturday too. There were 2 reps and lots of EM-1s and other models/lenses to try. They were pretty helpful and at least one of them was quite knowledgable and honest seeming. The only other people in there were some noobs asking a lot of noobie questions (exposure/F-stop etc).

I really enjoyed how the Em-1 handled and the VF and focusing were excellent (even w/the 43 lenses.) If I didn't have an EM-5 already, I'd be tempted with the rebates to get the EM-1 and 12-40mm deal. I might be getting the 12-40 after the new yr possibly, once I see how the reviews are.

I had to write Olympus to find out about the demo day and it took a week or two for a reply. They have no information on the US website...most of my searches turned up Europoean dates or the ones in CA and CO. This one was in Allentown PA (nothing near Philly).

I get regular emails from Olympus, so you think they would promote this more....though I did see a post the day before on Facebook by chance.

6. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    I was at Dan's Camera in Allentown, also.
    The reps were very helpful. I have the camera pre-ordered since it was announced, and it's even better than I expected. I use mostly primes , but I will be getting the pro zoom with this one. I normally don't like zooms, but I like this one a lot.
    Can't wait for it to come in!

7. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Did you guys get to try the new 12-40?

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I tried the 12-40. Smooth operation. Focused fast. Hard to tell the image quality since I only saw images on the camera . I prefer primes so will not be buying it.

9. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes, I went to one of those hands on viewing of the EM1, HLD7, and 12-40 2.8 and immediately ordered all three that very same day. My camera and grip came in yesterday and after picking them up, I do see some what of a difference with my EM5. I will keep the EM5 as a back up but I have a new main camera, now I just have to wait on the 12-40 2.8 to reach my dealer's shelf.

10. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Bob,
    Can you elaborate a bit on this? The E-M1 has me very interested and I would love to hear what E-M5 owners like myself think about it.
    Thanks,
    Rich

11. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Rich,
    I found that the EM1 seems to focus faster than my EM5 and it seems much more solid in my hands. I had a slight problem with trying to hold the EM5 with the HLD6 grip on it in my rather large hands. The EM1 is a some what larger camera than the EM5, and with the HLD7 attached to the EM1, it seems to be even larger. The dials and buttons on the EM1 has a less fragile feeling to them and the viewfinder is much brighter. The Menu in the EM1 seems to be close to the same as what is in the EM5. The EM1 just seems to feel a lot more solid and more of a pro camera feel to it then the way my EM5 feels. I will say that I do have to get use to the off and on button being on the left side on the EM1, all of the other cameras that I have used seemed to have been on the right side if my memory serves me right. Over all, I enjoy using the EM1 and I am very glad that I made the purchase. Now if the 12-40 would hurry up and get here. :2thumbs: