1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Attemted to update 14mm lens. Lens no longer works!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Art, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I tried to update firmware for Panny 14mm lens with E-PM1 via Olympus updater. It started out normally but I got error message - camera is not connected. Now both E-PM1 and E-PL2 don't recognize Panny 14mm lens!! Did Olympus damage my lens??

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yikes! I just updated the firmware on my 14mm as well, but I used my GF2 to do it. I'd contact Panasonic ASAP since they're the ones who provided the updater. Sounds like it could be a bug on their end, I'd be demanding a new lens if they can't fix it!

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The lens was part of the kit, I don't have warranty for it. I succesfully updated 14-150mm with E-PL2 a few weeks ago. I will be contacting Olympus tomorrow. It all happened within seconds and totally spoiled my day especially that I was gonna use this lens extensively this week with E-PM1.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I was able to update the 14mm via an E-PL3 body and the Viewer 2 software this afternoon. It did take a few minutes, but eventually got the OK displayed on the E-PL3 and the lens works well.

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I just successfully updated my 14mm using Olympus Updater on a Mac. The lens was mounted on my E-P3.

When you say the lens isn't recognized...does that mean the lens doesn't show up anymore when using Updater?

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    When I turn on the camera with the lens, it's just black screen on both E-PM1 and E-PL2. If I go to firmware menu in-camera, it only shows firmware for the body. When I connect the camera to Olympus Updater, it only shows camera model and firmware version, nothing about the lens...

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Unfortunately I don't have a panasonic body to try to load the firmware with SD card and see if it'll work. Will be calling Olympus tomorrow and then Panasonic but I am not sure if Panasonic warranty covers firmware update failures via Olympus bodies...

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It sounds like something in the chain interrupted the update part way through. I hate to tell you this, but because the lens is no longer recognized by your body, I think you will send to a Panasonic service center. You would think this is going to happen to quite a few people and they will not kill you on service fees.

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I will try to see if I can borrow a Panny body to load firmware on SD card first and see if it reflashes somehow. Panasonic bodies use SD card for firmware update rather than USB cable which I think is much more secure.

10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sounds like a good plan. Hope it works and you are back up for the weekend!

11. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Good luck!!

12. mikeetastic

mikeetastic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2011
    did it work?

13. onelouder

onelouder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    Sydney
    BIll
    I have the same problem. Any joy in getting this fixed?

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope the lens was bricked, had to get a new one. The only thing you can do is send it to Panasonic for repair (if you have that option). From now on I only use Panasonic bodies to update firmware. It's much safer with SD card.

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    It sounds like it cost more to repair a bricked 14mm at Panasonic than getting a new one?

By the way, was the bricked lens one of those $200 ebay 14mm's?

16. onelouder

onelouder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    Sydney
    BIll
    I did buy the lens on eBay. are there dodgy ones going around?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. driftingbunnies

driftingbunnies New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2011
    Dallas
    I bought a 14mm from ebay for ~200 but mine updated fine. There must have been some sort of disconnect when you updated the firmware. I don't think fixing it would take 200 dollars...just try calling panasonic to see how much it would cost.

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't understand this. My company runs into this issue all the time. The easy way around it is to have two images in some non-volatile memory. If one image get's corrupt from the user trying to upgrade that image, then the backup image is used. This way the device becomes extremely hard to "brick".

19. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Also, bootloaders have a protected area of memory so even if you screw up the update the bootloader should still be intact and allow you to have another attempt. Sounds like a poor design if you can get it into an unusable state during an update.

Keith

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The issue isn't that it's a hard problem to solve. The issue is that the manufacturers don't see it as a big enough problem to spend money on.

That said, 99% of this problems would be avoided if Olympus didn't have this brain-dead requirement of loading the new firmware via USB. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a report of a bricked lens that was updated using a Panasonic body. Olympus's instructions are awful too.

DH