Attaching 17mm lens to E-PL1 Issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keikei07, Jul 15, 2010.

1. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
    Hello, I just received my Olympus 17mm lens + VF-1 which I bought from ebay. So I was very excited to try out the lens. However, the problem with this lens is when I attach the lens to the camera, I can rotate the lens half way very smoothly and then I will need to turn really hard to have the red dot in the middle and hear it click. Does this sounds normal?

Also when I pan/move my camera to left/right to take a picture, sometimes there will be some "tick tick tick" sound without pressing any button, is this normal as well?

With my 14-42mm kit lens, I have no problem attaching the lens to the camera, it rotates in the direction very smoothly.

2. generationally

generationally New to Mu-43

May 27, 2010
    Mine 17mm lens is also quite tight when attaching it so it is probably normal.

I also have the 'tick tick tick' sound when panning between differently lit areas. At least with my lens it is the aperture opening and closing due to the changing light conditions. You can see it by looking into the lens when it happens. In addition, my LCD viewfinder also freezes for a split second when the 'tick tick tick' sound happens which is slightly annoying. Does that also happen with yours?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, this is normal - my 17mm f2.8 is quite tight on my E-PL1 (strangely, it's much smoother on the E-P1/2). The ticking you're noticing is adjustment of aperture to give an auto-exposure live view.

4. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks very much for both of your replies. I was very worry that I bought a counterfeit lens or something wrong with my lens.

generationally: Mine too, the LCD screen slightly freezes when the 'tick tick tick' sound happens.