1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Atomium, Brussels, Belgium

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by mauve, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    HERE USED TO STAND A PICTURE OF THE ATOMIUM OF BRUSSELS I REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES :

http://www.atomium.be/AuthorsRights.aspx?lang=en

Not my best picture (the weather was awful, with a terrible mist softening everything farther than a 100 meters away), but I think it shows the qualities of the 14-42 mkI kit zoom of the e-p1. Considering the shooting conditions, it outperformed my expectations (to be entirely fair, I should add there's a good amount of PP in that picture).

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Paris visiting Brussels :biggrin::biggrin:
    You were unlucky with the weather, but still made a beautiful shot. I love the partial reflection in the pond.

Are you aware of the copyright issues on the Atomium ?

Atomium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absurd, I think, but one has to know it when publishing pictures of this monument !

C U
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    That's my place of birth...well nearby.

Had a postcard that looks exactly like it. This picture might be clearer from what I remember.

4. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Thank you for the information. This is batshit crazy. No way I would put anyone in trouble here, and no way I will credit anyone else than the real architect for a public monument erected on public space. Especially not an extortionist corporation. So I remove the picture. I'm sorry to have to do this, but this is the best way I can deal with greedy heirs feeding on the rotten corpse of the only person who did something and worked, which is especially disgusting to me. So lights off on those rats, they don't deserve an ounce of publicity.

BTW, the Eiffel Tower in Paris is in a similar situation : although the copyright is expired on the building itself, the illumination scheme is under copyright. So you can picture the Eiffel Tower as much as you like by day, but you can't show pictures of the same by night.

Cheers,

6. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, mauve,

maybe, I'm a little more "relax" than you, so I did not remove the few pics I posted of the "named monument".
    I did not know about the "lighting" aspect of the Eifel Tower, one always learns as long as one lives ...

SABAM has an terribly bad reputation in Belgium. Only a few weeks ago, they were the object of a TV program where it became obvious that they are a bunck of crooks. They charged a 500 euro bill towards an "organiser" who organised a non happening event with a non existing group of musicians.
    There was a big scandal in Belgium, but they could not care less ....

mauve, if you have more plans to come to Belgium, let me know ! I'll be glad to meet you and show you some really nice and interesting pubs and places :biggrin:

à bientôt,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    That is such B.S.!!!

It explains why so many of my gradeschool friends had no idea what the Atomium was. There wasn't many photo references to it before the internet.

In all fairness, it was not much to look at in the late nineties. The outershell was like faded aluminum (now replaced with shiny stainless steel) and resembled something that would have been abandoned at Chernobyl. I remember, as a kid, being terrified the way it loomed from the fog.

Thanks for posting anyway Muave. Nice to see it again.

8. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow. I think this is bizarre. I would never think that a public building or monument would have this type of restriction placed on it. Although I can understand the desire to retain copyrights, I think its ironic that the darned thing was probably built (and renovated!) using public money, either through taxes or donations. If this SABAM group collected these royalties and used that money to pay for it originally in 1958 and renovate it in 2004, I guess I would soften my opinion... a little...

I guess I need to brush up on my copyright laws.