Atlanta - any places you'd recommend to visit?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rocklogic, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    Hey folks,

I'm going to be headed up to Atlanta for work in about ten days. I'll have about 3 free days to roam the city and do touristy stuff.

I'm eye-ing the coca cola world, CNN studios and a visit to the varsity (or two). Just wondering if there are any locals who can point me of places to shoot in, and also areas that I should probably avoid (I like roaming at night quite a fair bit).

Cheers!

M

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    DEFINITELY check out their aquarium. Easily among the best in the world. Also one of the only places that has the elusive Whale Shark for all to enjoy in their monstrous main display habitat.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I haven't been to Atlanta in ages, but Coca Cola world is pretty neat. Buckhead is good for restaurants and nightlife. Stone mountain is probably worthy of a visit for photos. I've never been to a presidential library, but they have the Jimmy Carter one there.

4. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I'd add the botanical garden to the list if you like flowers and plant life

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah Coke and the aquarium are pretty neat, and they're right next to each other. CNN is kind of meh, but the Taco place across the street has good food, and a massive beer list. Might as well check it out as it's also next to Coke and the Aquarium. I enjoyed just getting on the train and checking things out from there, they are some very interesting people down there for sure. So chatty compared to here in New England.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was going to suggest the Atlanta Civil War Cyclorama but their website has been suspended. I would call first.

Here is the Google clip:

Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum
    Museum in Atlanta, Georgia
    Directions
    The Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum is a civil war museum located in Atlanta, Georgia, its most noted attraction being the Atlanta Cyclorama, a cylindrical panoramic painting of the Civil War Battle of Atlanta. Wikipedia
    Address: 800 Cherokee Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30315
    Hours: Open today · 9:15 am – 4:30 pm
    Phone: (404) 658-7625
    Reviews
    19 Google reviews
    Huge circular painting on view since 1893 plus 2 floors of artifacts & photos for Civil War buffs. - Google
    "And right next to another great venue (zoo." "Amazing job in setting up the painting with the foreground."

7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Post-Script: everything Martin Luther King. And, a driving tour of the black colleges is interesting.

Margaret Mitchell's house is pretty neat.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The aquarium and Botanical Gardens. Didn't think I'd like the gardens but we had a good time a few years ago in the spring. World of Coke and CNN.

9. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Go to the High museum of Art and see the Wynn Bullock exhibit of about 100 prints, most are vintage prints except for the color work - not to be missed. It's easy to get to the High by bus and admission is reasonable for non members and do bring your camera as some photography is allowed not to mention that the museum is housed in a neat structure which can be fun to photograph inside and out.

Check out Jackson Fine Art photo gallery after your visit to the High as well as the Lumiere Gallery (another fine private photo gallery.) Both are small but are really worth visiting and are bus accessible.

Forget the World of Coke, ditto for the Carter Center.

Aquarium - yes but be prepared for crowds and obnoxious people, especially unsupervised children. Jack your camera's ISO up for some displays. The Aquarium is in a bit of trouble due to the deaths of several of the Beluga whales. Don't plan on buying food there - the prices are a major rip off.

The Civil War diorama is now closed pending completion of restoration and relocation which will be several years away, they've just started.

The zoo is okay. The primate exhibit and Panda exhibit are the biggest draws and I've been lucky to have had private access to the silver back highland gorilla space a couple of times. Unfortunately the zoo no longer permits that. And be aware zoo officials insist that any images of the animals in the zoo are copyrighted.

CNN - waste of time now that Zucker has took control and moving everything to NYC.

Botanical Gardens yes if you have the time.

King Center is historical but also controlled by the family who are solely in it for the money.

The ferris wheel at Century Center is a ripp off.

Actually most of the good stuff including restaurants are off the beaten path not to be found in the tourist guides.

Do consult the city dining guides and ask the locals about where the good BBQ hole in the wall restaurants are.

The Varsity is a grease pit but probably worth one lunch.

Do check the schedule for tours of the Fox Theater. It's a fascinating place.

Bikes can be rented and the downtown, midtown and uptown areas are bikeable if you are fit. Bikes are permitted on the buses running and on the city trains.

I could go on but that's enough I think.

10. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Want a nice skyline shot... don't miss the Jackson St. bridge at sunset. Piedmont Park is also nice place for a skyline shot.

I agree with above on Varsity... I don't get the popularity myself. I'm from Ohio and we had rootbeer stands all over with the same food but better and friendlier service.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1 on the Varsity not being worth the time.

12. Bob DA

Bob DA New to Mu-43

Feb 7, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    Bob D'Amato
    For BBQ, Fat Matt's is the only place!

13. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    I will suggest something completely different. If you're renting transportation and are interested in old cars, drive a short distance north to White, GA and a place called Old Car City USA. Won't appeal to everyone but very cool for photographers. Google it. I also have quite a few photos on my website at dougvaughn.com

There is also a downtown park (locals can help me with the name) where folks gather to play chess. It's a wonderful photo opportunity if you enjoy capturing local flavor.

14. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    Wow!

Thank you everyone - I'll have a re-look at my itinerary and get a probable plan out hopefully by the end of this weekend.

:D

15. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Old Car City is indeed a very interesting place to photograph and has been the destination for many workshops. The management is photographer friendly. Unfortunately this isn't the best time of year to visit due to the thick foliage and canopy, heat and humidity, and the ever present tic and mosquito populations thriving in hot weather. And it will be hot for several more weeks. Oh yeah did I mention the kudzu? :)

The best time of year to visit OCC is late winter and early to mid spring. Temps in Atlanta during this period are very moderate, when vegetation and pests haven't begun their yearly growth cycle.

And their is an admission fee. For details visit their website:

http://oldcarcityusa.com/

You can also search Flickr for photos of OCC.