At the Voigtlander store in Taipei

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by TDP, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TDP

TDP Guest

Went downtown yesterday to find a 43mm PL for my CV 40mm classic lens (a hard filter size to find) and sell a few Canon lenses I'm not using anymore. What do I find but a Voigtlander store with every lens, camera body and accessory out there. Stopped in for a chat and tested a few lenses, will be going back to pick up some in the near future. Very cool place.

As I walked around the camera district (Po Ai street) I saw dozens and dozens of m43 bodies and lenses, I would guess almost each store had an EM5 in the window (the Sony store did not). If any of you all are in the area and in need of some camera gear, PM me and I can tell you the metro stop and direction to the camera district.

Tested the Samyang 7.5 fish and the The Voigtländer Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm f/5.6 VM. The Samyang in person, on the body and in use is much nicer than I had expected. The movement is fantastic, period. It is well worth the 10,000 NT cost (low 300s USD). The CV12 is like all CVs, all metal and tank like with it's own unique image output and a pleasure to use. At an equiv focal length of 24mm and considering it is 5.6 wide open, (to me) this isn't a smart deal for a m43 camera....unless you have some VM mount bodies already.

EDIT: After thinking about it, at f8 the 12mm might be a great street lens for the zone focusing crowd.

Here are some of the shots at the CV store. I had my EM5 with me and snapped a few, nothing special but here they are. Shots are:

1. with the 40
    2. with the 7.5
    3. with the 12
    4. with the 7.5, a photo of my 40 on the table

7890615850_b1f5c9ccb0_c.
    Camera Dist by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

[​IMG]

7890611466_a992cb01ec_c.

7890612934_0417fb5543_c.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice shots - that store is like taking a kid to a candy store! :biggrin:

3. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Nice share, I must visit this store when I go to Taipei in future!

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool!

I am glad that we don't have one of those here... I would walk out with a rangefinder and a lens or two. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TDP

TDP Guest

While the 17.5 is more popular, I like the 25 the best. That is odd since in FF I like the 35mm FOV over 50mm.

Voigt-Lander by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Whoa! I didn't know they even had dedicated stores.

If I didn't have the 25mm, I'd totally go for that 17.5mm.

7. TDP

TDP Guest

Be happy, between the two I think the 25 is a better lens.

8. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    That store interior is fascinating. I'm glad areas like the camera district still exist!

9. TDP

TDP Guest

If you drop this in google earth, go to the street view then explore in each direction you will see tons of camera stores. 25.045312,121.511349

10. goodgoings

goodgoings New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Can you tell us a little more why you prefer the 25mm over the 17.5mm?

I have the 25mm and love it, but I am thinking of picking up th 17.5mm when the prices drop. I use the 25mm mainly for street shooting and I thought the 17.5mm would be also good for the street using hyper-focal distances.

11. TDP

TDP Guest

In the film/full frame digital world I lean on my 35mm more than anything else, so it surprises me that I favor the 25 over the 17.5.

They are both great lenses, but to me the 25 produces better looking images. It is a very minor difference and it could be all mental - I did get the 25 first.

If the weather holds out nice this weekend I will shoot some yard flowers with both lenses and do some comparisons and post them.

- tdp