At the local camera shop yesterday...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
...checking out a lens. The sales guy remembered I use a G9 and grabbed the demo for me to test the lens. When he did, I noticed they had both FF Pannys, the G9, G85, and G7 on display along with a couple of GX models. I asked why no G95? He shrugged and said he didn't know, but the buyers decided not to bring them in. And then he said, and I quote: "No one has ever even asked about them."

Ouch. This kind of points to several discussions we've had about the model and features V. price. IMO, and this in ONLY my opinion, Panasonic screwed the pooch on this model.

I'd still be interested in a body for a backup, but based on recent sale pricing of the G9 it'd have to be one heck of a deal.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have looked at the G90 more than once as a replacement for my GX8 and G80. But yes it is overpriced. One would be forgiven for thinking that Panasonic is not actually interested in selling this camera. It's the right camera, at the wrong price. How many cameras out there can boost of also having that dubious honour?

afg08

Mu-43 Regular
I have one I really like. I bought it used at a good price and sold off the kit lens. Probably should not have bought it but I do really like it for the size. New, they’ve been too much money and now that the G9 prices have tumbled even further the G95 is likely dead to most buyers. B&H have been selling the G9 for $847 on a special sale so it’s unlikely many G95 cameras are being sold

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have one I really like. I bought it used at a good price and sold off the kit lens. Probably should not have bought it but I do really like it for the size. New, they’ve been too much money and now that the G9 prices have tumbled even further the G95 is likely dead to most buyers. B&H have been selling the G9 for $847 on a special sale so it’s unlikely many G95 cameras are being sold
I'd like to have one as a second camera. When they were getting ready to announce I decided to wait to see if that would be my new camera or the G9. After I saw the price and so many features geared toward video, I went with the G9. There are so many things about it I like. If I can recall from my old brain, it uses the same batteries as my G7, it is sized the same as a the G7, if has roughly the same controls as a G7, with advantages like splash proofing, IBIS, 20mp, no moiré filter, etc. Had it been available at a more reasonable price it would've been a no-brainer. I will keep watching and eventually find one used or on closeout.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Except for the people that need to record more than 30 minutes of continuous video and can live with the 1.2x crop factor for 4K (or shoot 1080p).

Added to it, in the USA, there is the coupling of the lens which adds $300 to the price. I suspect the majority of people that might consider a G95 are upgrading from a G85, and already have the 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and don't need a second.

For the European customers, the G90/G91 was the first Panasonic camera to record long videos without going to the GH5/GH5S (the G80/G81 were limited to 30 minutes due to the EU tariff).

I do happen to occasionally want/need to record video of more than 30 minutes. For me, it is a hobby project (mostly recording shows that my friends produce), but I couldn't justify spending the amount of money for that little bit of improvement over the G85. If it had been in the $700-800 range, I might have gone for it.

As I've watched the G85 in the last 3 years, I've noticed that the G9, GH5, and GH5S have gotten firmware improvements, notably to improve auto focusing. But the G85 only got an improvement for the 10-25mm lens, but no focusing improvements. So I suspect the G95 similarly will be left behind. It is understandable that Panasonic might only offer new features in their high end cameras, but as somebody with a middle sized budget, it doesn't make me want to get the G95.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I do happen to occasionally want/need to record video of more than 30 minutes. For me, it is a hobby project (mostly recording shows that my friends produce), but I couldn't justify spending the amount of money for that little bit of improvement over the G85. If it had been in the $700-800 range, I might have gone for it.

As I've watched the G85 in the last 3 years, I've noticed that the G9, GH5, and GH5S have gotten firmware improvements, notably to improve auto focusing. But the G85 only got an improvement for the 10-25mm lens, but no focusing improvements. So I suspect the G95 similarly will be left behind. It is understandable that Panasonic might only offer new features in their high end cameras, but as somebody with a middle sized budget, it doesn't make me want to get the G95.
I checked the price Panny asks for the G90/G95 in central Europe, it is between €899-€999. The G90/G95 is very good camera but as you wrote there are not enough improvements over the G80/G85. On the other hand a typical user in the given price segment does not upgrade a camera when a new model is released. He sticks with it for several years. If you come from the G7 or even older model, then the G90/G95 is a good choice, I guess. Anyway bad sales could lead to generous discounts (-€200?, -€250) during spring/summer season.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I checked the price Panny asks for the G90/G95 in central Europe, it is between €899-€999. The G90/G95 is very good camera but as you wrote there are not enough improvements over the G80/G85. On the other hand a typical user in the given price segment does not upgrade a camera when a new model is released. He sticks with it for several years. If you come from the G7 or even older model, then the G90/G95 is a good choice, I guess. Anyway bad sales could lead to generous discounts (-€200?, -€250) during spring/summer season.
It still isn't worth it. I'd like to upgrade from the G7, but not at a price that gets me a second G9 body. The price point is simply a bad fit.

G7 $500 > G85 $700 > G95 $1200.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Since 1st coming to MFT I have never seriously looked at the Panasonic line up. To me they have too many models and their fit and finish has never appealed to me. Kinda like when I was shooting Nikon DSLR bodies, every time I picked up a Canon body it made me wonder why so many people used them.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree that recent G9 prices have overshadowed the G90, though that might just be about to change. I went to a store yesterday to buy a G9 at an advertised £799. I was told the G9 has been discontinued and the price was to clear remaining stock. The company is a national chain and they had just 4 ex demo units left across the entire group, so if you're after a G9, you might want to grab one quickly.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Discontinued, despite the time, effort and cost of developing the updated firmware. Keeping customer base happy. But what is to replace it? There is the CES show in January, the U.K Photography show in March, and Photokina in May. Opportunities for a new release.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom